Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of sled does anyone recommend for a first sled, I looking for a sled that will take me powder and trail riding. Im looking to spend less than $2000.

·
Administrator
1,152 Posts
For less than $2000 and as a beginner I would say a 440 fan or an Indy trail. I would stick with the older Polaris models as they seem to have been the most reliable sleds back in the mid 90s.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yes they are reliable if you run in 25 degree and under. The trails had a HORRIBLE tendency to foul plugs if not ridden agressivly. They were good and reliable but looked so old!

·
Administrator
1,152 Posts
Steve-o- said:
Yes they are reliable if you run in 25 degree and under. The trails had a HORRIBLE tendency to foul plugs if not ridden agressivly. They were good and reliable but looked so old!
I agree, I do foul a lot of plugs on that sled, but I keep extras on hand. A jetting change may fix that, but then again that could change the reliability.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For a first sled under $2000.00, I would highly recommend a Polaris Indy 500 Liquid cooled. You should be able to get a 96 or 97 for that amount. You will get a proven motor (488), xtra 10 suspension, and a body style that doesn't look outdated. I bought my wife a 1997 Indy 500 3 years ago from a friend and never regretted it. It's a great machine. I ride a 2002 Polaris 800XC with the Edge suspension. What a great ride. Polaris really came out with a great suspension. If you never ride an Edge, you will be perfectly happy with the extra 10 suspension. I can't recommend any other brand because we have always had Polaris's. Some of my friends wouldn't part with their Ski Doo's or Arctic Cats for love or money. I'm just pleased with the Polaris sleds. (We also have two Polaris 4 wheelers) One good place to check for sleds would be on ebay. See if you can locate one that is nearby and check it out before bidding. Now is a good time to start looking. Hope this helps.:cool:

·
Registered
711 Posts
For the first sled, a 600 trip would kick your ass, Besides, to find a sled that is good in the powder for less than 2 grand, is hard. i agreee with cobra on this one.

dano

1 - 7 of 7 Posts