Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently Looking for a 2UP to take the wife out. I have 2 around $1000. A 1997 Polaris Indy XLT Touring and a 95 Ski Doo Grand touring 580. Any opinions? What should I be looking for?

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
16,803 Posts
I posted on the other post regarding the XLT, the same applies to the Skidoo. I had a buddy that had a 580 Grand Tourning, he put a 1 1/2" track on it and it did really well at keeping up with the mountain guys. He had very few problems with that sled.

Condition is king in the used market.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
The between years for Skidoo. They were playing catch-up on the suspensions. Polaris had the XTRA-12 on their 97 Touring, which was the best rear suspension of the time.

The 600 Triples hold a special place in Polaris fans hearts too. Can be a good motor, can be a lousy motor. I had a lot of fun on my XLT SKS until it was breaking down all the time.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I just saw a 04 Pantera 600EFI for sale asking $2000
Believe me when I say it is the Cadi of all 2up sleds!

·
Registered
481 Posts
The between years for Skidoo. They were playing catch-up on the suspensions. Polaris had the XTRA-12 on their 97 Touring, which was the best rear suspension of the time.

The 600 Triples hold a special place in Polaris fans hearts too. Can be a good motor, can be a lousy motor. I had a lot of fun on my XLT SKS until it was breaking down all the time.

Idk, most Polaris fans that I know including myself hated that 580 mono block design as it was nothing but problems from day one until the '97s came out and even then I stay away from them. Especially if people put aftermarket pipes on them.

The issues with the Xtra-12 was that they could be very tippy, even my Ultra had that suspension and it was. Personally I've always preferred the Xtra-10 over the Xtra-12 because of those reasons.

Personally between the 2 he is looking at I would take that Skidoo over the XLT all day long. And the Arctic Cat KC is talking about is a nice sled as well. My dad almost bought one of those 900 or was it a 1000 Arctic Cat 2 up Touring as it was in mint condition, he would have if my mom was interested in going riding. As much of a Polaris person as he is, he has always preferred the Cats for their 2 up designs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts