Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can't afford a new sled so looking at used. What is SDI and what does it do better than non-SDI? Is it worth having? How many miles is to many?

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
Semi-Direct Inject. you have your carbed sleds, EFI sleds, which are mostly SDI, then there are the new eTecs that are direct inject.

·
walter
20 Posts
Semi direct injection as said be for ... just how the gas gets to the engine!
I've only owned carburetor before.
I've herd SDI sleds are better on fuel. <-- could be wrong

There's no general rule on how many km are too much, I've seen a sleds engine blow after 3000km but I've also seen my buddy's doo last up to 15000.

The only rule about Km's is the if it's an artic cat chances are it's not going last very long.

Make sure that you know if it's km or miles theirs a big difference between 7000km and 7000 miles

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
semi direct injetion is not the same as efi, sdi is more effitent as it injects fuel in the transfer ports efi and carb the fuel needs to pass the intake then the crank up the transfer ports into the cylinder

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
Semi direct injection as said be for ... just how the gas gets to the engine!
I've only owned carburetor before.
I've herd SDI sleds are better on fuel. <-- could be wrong

There's no general rule on how many km are too much, I've seen a sleds engine blow after 3000km but I've also seen my buddy's doo last up to 15000.

The only rule about Km's is the if it's an artic cat chances are it's not going last very long.

Make sure that you know if it's km or miles theirs a big difference between 7000km and 7000 miles
another brand bash! iv seen cats do 15 years 10000 miles without rebuild, polaris tripples with the orriginal pistons and 600 etechs blow on the first ride, it dont matter what you ride if you dont take care of her shes gona let you down

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
thats what i was thinking but didn't really know how different sdi was from normal efi. thanks for the clarification.

curious, how does sdi lube the crank effectively? is oil still injected near the throttle bodies?

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
thats what i was thinking but didn't really know how different sdi was from normal efi. thanks for the clarification.

curious, how does sdi lube the crank effectively? is oil still injected near the throttle bodies?
it injects oil directly in the crankcase never mixes with the fuel

·
walter
20 Posts
I just couldn't resist my self, I saw an opertunity and I took it! :)
I've never owned a cat but the f7 certainly caught my eye!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts