Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, i went to look at a 2001 800xcsp today at a dealer. it has 1323 miles on it. they had it listed for $3590. the first thing i noticed was that the left side of the bellypan where it meets the hood was messed up. the bellypan was pushed out. which immediately made me think that something was bent.

so i poked around and noticed that the bulkhead is pushed back a little on the left side. it has a skid plate on it but i could see that something was hit underneath. almost looks like it was landed on the front hard.

so that concerned me. my sled is also similarly bent but works fine. they told me they'd give it to me for $3000. so i'm on the fence. they say they will stand behind what they sell. i said that i want the clutch alignment checked and i wonder if maybe jackshaft/driveshaft alignment should be checked.

seems to me that if the driveline is straight that i should go for it. $3000 for an 800xcsp with only 1300 miles seems like a good deal.

anyone have anything to comment about that

·
Mountain M0DERAT0R
7,469 Posts
imo i wouldnt buy anything that looks messed up. b/c more than likely it was hit/crashed, and your gonna be left with the pieces. i would wait longer or find one that you know wasnt/hasnt had anything done to it. but if you like it and want it, go for it, thats just my .02

my buddy is selling a 2004 700 pro x... about 5g's obo

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i passed on that sled. i wasn't in a big rush. i looked at it more and figured out that it had hit something and rolled, the steering column was slightly bent, the back of the tunnel on the left side behind the rear suspension mounting point was bent, and the belly/bulkhead was bent.

but, i came across another sled which i AM buying. someone on another message board saw me inquiring about this one and said he was selling his.

it's also a 2001 800xcsp, but with no damage at all. it only has 985 miles on it. and i got a hell of a deal on it. i'm picking it up tuesday.

·
Registered
125 Posts
For a simple comparison. I got a 2002 700 XC SP, red , no damage with 1800 canadian miles on it for $2800 last year. Shop around , you never know what might come along.( BTW, I bought this sled from a member here):)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i picked up the 2001 800 that i mentioned in my last post. $3300

love it, can't wait for the season. there's an oil leak from the gromet that holds the oil level sensor(i believe that's what the gromet is for) which i'll get fixed, no big deal. i'm probably going to put a single pipe on it, possibly some clutching, i'm going to put a bar riser on it and i'm planning on putting the Rox running board widening kit on there.

·
Administrator
1,152 Posts
Fine looking machine.

I've heard the new Polaris 800's and they really are not as loud as I would have expected... The older 700's are more powerful sounding than the new 800s. I can't blame you for wanting to buy a throaty pipe on it to let everyone know that you really do have an 800 under the hood.

Looks like a good purchase! Now you only have to wait a few more months to ride it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm with cobra all the way. My 600 is LOUD as heck, but the 700 is quiet as a dead peacock. I could'nt beleive how quiet it was when I went to look at it. I personally like the "stealth" mode type of thing, but to each his own......Nice sled again.!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts