Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Snow Man
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm going to look at this sled on Saturday. I spoke with the owner on the phone tonight. He said it is in realy nice shape (seat is like new, new track and belt, and was serviced at the end of last season). It has 4,900 miles on it though, but he said he and his wife went to Canada the last two years and put a 1000 miles on it each time. He is asking 1,300 for it though. I looked on KBB.com and price ranges between 800-1000 depending on condition. So whats a fair price to offer???

Also I have read that the early 90's 400 and 440 Indys run forever. I even read a few that had over 10k on them with no engine rebuild so I'm not too worried about the miles if the guy maintained the sled the way he has claimed. Originally I wanted a Indy 500 but I can't find one and time is running out... Is this a solid sled like I have read???

Thanks,

Fess

·
Registered
711 Posts
Those things are pretty fast. I think $1000 is what i would offer but i know i would love to get my hands on one of those. Either way, give it a good look, but i think you will do just fine with it. Just continue to maintain like anything else and you will be fine. I know a guys who has one and his crank shaft went, however i question how the thing was treated. This is the ONLY bad story i have heard.

My cousin had one for a long time and he and I are trying to find one for ourselves. Especially for trail riding. Besides a new track is at least $300. Offer $1000 for it and enjoy.

my opinion

·
The Snow Man
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks dano. I'm pretty psyched about getting this sled. I've wanted an indy 500 for a long time but just can't find any close by. This should be a nice sub for a 500.

Fess

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think you'll be pleased with the 440. My girlfriend has the same sled, a '94 440 with over 6000 miles on it, we drove it all last season and it runs great and is a fun sled, it's sure got some balls! even with two of us on it, good luck!

·
The Snow Man
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I ended up with an Indy 440 but not the one I was looking at. The one I picked up is a 98 with 3k miles on it and not a scratch for 300 bucks more than the 94 was going for. :D All I need is snow now!

Fess

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got a 88 indy 400 and the thing has never broke down on me. but this year i had to get both clutches rebuilt and some stuff for it but I put about 500 into it this year and I am glad because i feel in love with this machine. They are basicly the same setup as the newer just not as much suspension but ill tell you the 440 will go more places than some of the new ones do. well at least mine does. good luck with it and its worth every penny i hope.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts