Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to rebuild my fuel pump in my 98 formula 583. Those little black grommets that hold the 2 plastic discs are kicking my ass. I put holes in 3 of the 4 i have, 2 new with kit and 2 that came out of pump. Any tips on putting these mother effffing things back in? Are the ones with holes no good now?

·
Registered
26,045 Posts
I am not sure what pump you have but the basic 2 1/8"? Mikuni fuel pump in single outlet is like $25 bucks

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Even the dual outlet pump is 27 or 28 bucks on amazon and ebay these days. For the price I just replace instead of rebuilding not worth the hassle anymore.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Something to note, is that fuel pumps are another item that can be used across the platforms. I put a Skidoo 583 fuel pump in a Polaris 440. Worked great.

Reactions: rvroman969

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Yep most of those mikuni fuel pumps were used across multiple makers & people tend to not check that for some reason.

·
Super Moderator
18,297 Posts
Yep, a pump is a pump. As long as it will deliver enough fuel, any of the impulse pumps should work just fine. Well, except for those sleds that deliver the oil to the pump instead of the intake... those are really special. You can tell by the price how special they are ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, a pump is a pump. As long as it will deliver enough fuel, any of the impulse pumps should work just fine. Well, except for those sleds that deliver the oil to the pump instead of the intake... those are really special. You can tell by the price how special they are ;)
I think I found a fuel pump for my sled on ebay last week for like $100.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
oh, don't even get me started on the VRO system that Evinrude had... I have one of those motor on my boat. The primer bulb for the oil is just a joke that BRP decided to do. Fine if you are starting from scratch, but that is only time you ever touch that thing.

·
Registered
26,045 Posts
Hey if your issue is the oil line going into the fuel pump,
The Yamaha I just pulled apart had the oil pump going into a 6 x 6 x 3mm (1/4 x 1/4 x 1/8")
T just before the main fuel lines hooks to inlet of pump!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Back to my original question. Someone told me that if these grommets have holes in them, which I damaged some trying to get them back in, that they would still be ok to use. Is this true? or should I just order another kit?

·
Super Moderator
18,297 Posts
The check valves may operate with small holes in them, but they will be a lot less efficient. The valves keep the flow of gas flowing through the pump. If there's a hole in one of the check valves, some of the gas that should be going to the carbs will get pushed back toward the fuel tank. I'd want those as intact as I could get them...

·
Registered
26,045 Posts
The pump wont work with an additional hole in them!
There really is a tool to install those!
If you have smaller than a 1/4" nut driver (thats what tool looks like) center it all and just push the plastic over the nipple.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The pump wont work with an additional hole in them!
There really is a tool to install those!
If you have smaller than a 1/4" nut driver (thats what tool looks like) center it all and just push the plastic over the nipple.
I'm referring to the black grommets or nipples with my question. The nipples have small holes in them because I was advised to use a punch to put them in. So I think it would be smart to just get new grommets/nipples?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts