Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Polaris Indy 500 Carb
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I bought some used plastic skis for my 1998 Polaris Indy 500 and I want to put them on for the obvious benefits. I go to try to take the bolt holding the ski on and I get the codder pin and nut off but the bold won’t come off —darn— how do I get his off. I’ve tried hammering it the end opposite of the bolt head, and I don’t know what to do. Any suggestions/tips? ( Anything appreciated )

·
Super Moderator
17,165 Posts
The bolt is probably corroded into the bushing. Try some penetrating oil (PB Blaster works great, as does Liquid Wrench). That may still not get them out. If not, you may have to take a hack saw and saw the bolt off between the skis and the spindle. That will free the skis and will give you access to the spindle so you can hopefully get the bushing with the cut off bolt out without damage.

Lubrication of that bolt is something most guys forget to do, and that's the consequence. On the new one, coat liberally with grease or Never Seize to make sure it doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bolt is probably corroded into the bushing. Try some penetrating oil (PB Blaster works great, as does Liquid Wrench). That may still not get them out. If not, you may have to take a hack saw and saw the bolt off between the skis and the spindle. That will free the skis and will give you access to the spindle so you can hopefully get the bushing with the cut off bolt out without damage.

Lubrication of that bolt is something most guys forget to do, and that's the consequence. On the new one, coat liberally with grease or Never Seize to make sure it doesn't happen again.
I am going to take the spindle off to get the ski on a solid surface and try to pound it out. If that doesn’t work I am going try what you have suggested.

·
Super Moderator
17,165 Posts
if you can let them sit sideways with the penetrating fluid on 'em, that will help. Good luck, I had a set that was like that, they were a royal pain. I have a hydraulic press and even that didn't work, that's when I went to the saw. The bushing/bolt was even pretty hard to press out of the spindle, but that part went ok without damage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you can let them sit sideways with the penetrating fluid on 'em, that will help. Good luck, I had a set that was like that, they were a royal pain. I have a hydraulic press and even that didn't work, that's when I went to the saw. The bushing/bolt was even pretty hard to press out of the spindle, but that part went ok without damage.
Thanks, I’ll keep you updated on how it goes, fingers crossed

·
Registered
770 Posts
have several spindles that I've soaked in penetrating oil for moths and even with a 12 ton press they won't come out. This is what I have started doing to make sure it doesn't happen on my Indy Wedge Chassis sleds

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,857 Posts
Get a thin cut off wheel on a 4 1/2" grinder
Cut the ski itself and the head of bolt as well as the other side
Push the sleeve out then either make a new one or order a set and bolts too.
Yours should be 3/8 x 4 1/2"?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Get a thin cut off wheel on a 4 1/2" grinder
Cut the ski itself and the head of bolt as well as the other side
Push the sleeve out then either make a new one or order a set and bolts too.
Yours should be 3/8 x 4 1/2"?
Thanks for that info, I’ll try that

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got everything off. Ended up needing an entire new spindle as the bushing was completely welded in there. Got new skis on and ended up draining the wallet more with a couple of other upgrades. Thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
17,165 Posts
Congrats!

The big lesson for everyone on this issue is to remove the skis once in a while and make sure the bolts are greased or use some never-seize to prevent this from happening. Those that have had it happen already know this, for the rest of you, learn from our experiences! :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Got everything off. Ended up needing an entire new spindle as the bushing was completely welded in there. Got new skis on and ended up draining the wallet more with a couple of other upgrades. Thanks guys
I was able to save my spindles. Had to heat with the torch until red hot all over, then use an air hammer to get the bushing out. New bushings and bolts should be here tomorrow.

Anti seize is a great idea.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mfgsupply has bushings that are a bit different than the solid steel ones that were really stuck. Theirs have a steel bushing, then a plastic bushing around the steel. Looks like they will never get stuck again. Direct fit stuff.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mfgsupply has bushings that are a bit different than the solid steel ones that were really stuck. Theirs have a steel bushing, then a plastic bushing around the steel. Looks like they will never get stuck again. Direct fit stuff.
Yep I got my new bushings from MFG and they are awesome but put just a little bit more slip into the skis.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts