Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
XTBX (Anthony)
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, long time no talk!

I'm looking to upgrade the lighting on two Arctic Cat sleds, both of which have been ridden for some time by my family, and I'd like to make it better.

The first is a batteryless 2006 Crossfire 6, and the other a 2007 F6 with electric start. I've read that snowmobiles without batteries don't respond well to LEDs...in my brother's 2003 Ski-Doo MXZ, we replaced a blown out tail lamp with an LED 1157. It works fine and was plug and play, but there is a bit of flicker just at idle.

Would LEDs flicker in the Crossfire, or even F6, as well? What bulbs are needed for high and low beam (four for each sled)? I've searched around and haven't had much luck finding them.

I'm not in the business of blinding people on the trails, so I might consider just upgrading the high beams, even if it looks silly.

Lastly, are LED light bars a better option? I have used many on various vehicles (on back roads in Maine with no traffic), and they throw incredible light. Provided they can be mounted properly and will function on sleds, is that a good option?

Thank you for all of your help!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Welcome back
Guy F ? had a U tube video of some lights he was testing looked good
Do a search here his name was Guy something lol

·
XTBX (Anthony)
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I'll do a search and see what I find.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm also interested in LED for a battery less sled. It's a 1990 EXT, think it has a standard H4 bulb.
It would be nice if you write which lamp you used and how the result was.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Just know what you are getting into. All the normal testing they do online shows things like shining directly at the camera or against a garage door/wall.
I found that the LEDs light up the immediate area so bright that you cannot see beyond the lighted areas.

My side by side comparison. Same trail, same night.

The one thing I did not like at all about the LED units was the huge heat sink and fan on the back. In my case, it took up glove box space, but more importantly, the space behind the heatsink and fan needs to be clear to allow air circulation. I was also getting snow dust seeping its way into the headlight housing because I could not use the stock rubber seals that cover the back of the opening. SII makes a replacement cup (for a big $$), but I could not get a straight answer out of the fact that their rubber cups covered the heatsink and fan,
They take up about 2" of space behind the normal bulbs, so make sure you have room.

Another thing I found with the G2 SII LEDs was that there was very little difference between high and low beam. Not good if you ride on trails with a lot of other riders. A none issue for me as I rarely see other snowmobiles where I ride.

I decided to go back to the Halogen bulbs and just put LED pods on the bumper of mine.

·
XTBX (Anthony)
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that link @KCCats2, another good video there.

@TheBearAk, thank you for the in-depth discussion and video. The LED does look brighter in your video but not by as much as I expected. The little difference between high and low beam is concerning, but perhaps since the sleds I want LEDs for have separate housings for high and low beam, that can be fixed.

Maybe I'll look into LED pods before anything else. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
The key with the brightness is the ability to see beyond the lighted areas. Near the middle of the video, there was a point where I pointed at a fish house that had a reflective number on the side of it. The fish house was about 500 ft away at that point and the Halogens lit up the sign, where the LED did not. I ended up a little bit off course because I couldn't see the fish house.

In my conclusion, I think LEDs are fine for standard cruising down the trail riding, but when you need to see farther down the trail and see beyond the lighted areas, Halogens work best.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts