Snowmobile Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

· oh canada hmmmhmmmhmm
1,359 Posts
I've put a few disco lights on my sled. have red inside the engine compartment and in the grill. got mine at Auto Zone also.
Not sure about the alternating current comment as mine are tied into an open circuit that was available and i have no blinking.

· oh canada hmmmhmmmhmm
1,359 Posts
here's a pic i found. not to good but works

Attachments

· Premium Member
33,895 Posts
I thought it was impersonating if you had red or blue. Green, yellow, pink, purple were ok.
That would be correct, but still not allowed to be on when in motion.

· Registered
455 Posts
I've put many LED lights on my sleds over the years. If you want them to be run by the battery, I would install a switch to turn them on & off. Otherwise, I've run them off a light lead wire (yellow for polaris) then they'll be on all the time when the sled is running.

I'm putting on a couple of red LED strips where the back reflectors normally sit on a Polaris Gemini 250. It's a smaller alternator and has no ill effects from running LED lights.

Sent from Snowmobile.com Free App

· Registered
455 Posts

· Registered
455 Posts
I'm going to be putting some on ALL of my sleds, I'm going to place them where my reflectors are now, I've already purchased a 4 inch kit of red ones, now I need the amber ones.

the ambers are going to be about 6 inch.

I had a sled with the old school limo style side lights but they didnt last very long.
they were old and burnt out quickly.

· Registered
455 Posts
Here's what I did to my 89 Cougar Mt.cat. 4in red LED rear and those daylight LED strip under the edge of the front bumper.

Attachments

· Registered
2,164 Posts
Given the ultra-low current draw of LEDs, have you considered making up a battery holder for 8 1.5V batteries (AAA would work fine) and just running them that way?

One thing you need to consider about LEDs is that they are light emitting DIODES. This means that current flows through them in only one direction. Since the sled produces AC power, the current reverses direction rapidly, and the lights are actually only on for every other little surge of current. This is actually bad for the lights.

Make sure you understand local operating laws in your area, too. It's -possible- that there could be restrictions about additional lighting on a snowmobile on the trails.

· Registered
455 Posts
The only AC side of the sled is at the stator, once power has gone through the regulator/rectifier (which ever you may have) current is changed to DC.

But if you wish to feel safer, you can install a rectifier and run the lights/LEDs off of that tapped power lead.

· Registered
673 Posts
Put a fuse in. Its not likely that you'd burn down the sled if you get a short, but it would ground out everything else. If you are going 60mph in the dark and a short happens and you loose all light, you'll be in a tight place! Get a fuse holder and a 3 amp fuse, bout 5 bucks

· Registered
53 Posts
I put some on my Srv. One on the air box and they are red gives off good light and I also put one down the side of the gas tube on the left side of take because it's hard to see how much gas you have at night looking at a gas line . Works great also in the vents. I split them on two switches and ran them to my depht finder battery. With a resister. They stay on for three days straight. I tested them in my garage totally of 5 strips.

Attachments

· Registered
455 Posts
That's pretty sweet there srv560. Nice touch on the air box.

· Registered
455 Posts
Any one out there try the LED equivalent of their headlight bulb? I'm going to try a couple of the 894 LED and a 9003/H4 LED on my 97 xlt evolved. See if anything blows up. Lol.:wink::grin:

I'm also switching my current battery to an acid glass mat type battery. They supposedly hold up better and have more CCA in the cold than a gel acid battery and are supposedly WAY better than those crappy traditional batteries a lot of us get from Wally World. Frickin never start batteries.

· Registered
1,465 Posts
How are you guys mounting the LEDs? Double sided tape?

I always thought an older blacked out Phazer with a scrolling front LED in the nose would be a nice KITT tribute.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.