Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how i would go about wiring LED light strips on my sled without a battery to make it stand out a bit more at night.. can i just simply tap into my lights for power and run it through a toggle switch? if so would i need a fuse? im new to the whole automotive wiring thing but would love to know for this and future projects.. thanks

· Mopar crazy
280 Posts
Tapping the LEDs into your lights would probably be just fine. You wouldn't need a fuse unless it would make you more comfortable to have one. Where are you planning on running the LEDs? I'd be interested in seeing what your sled looks like when you do that.

· Registered
29 Posts
I just put leds on my daughters sled, 2 small strips right on top row of intakes on a polaris, just wired them into the dash lights. I thought it might help with picking her out of the pack behind me... Looks pretty cool in my opnion, I'll try n get pics up.

· Sled Of The Month Judge
2,872 Posts
What I found is that the LEDs I used needed to be AC current off the lights, not DC from the battery. From the battery, they would get way too hot. The only difference is that AC current well, alternates, so the led's will flash, increasing in repetition as you increase throttle. If you were to take a video of it, you may see it. I ended up using lights from an exit sign, for free.

· Mopar crazy
280 Posts
That looks pretty cool. Where did you get the LEDs

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replys. and your leds look sick!! I was gonna put a strip behind each of the hood vents, one in each of the foot wels and maybe if they look good might put some under the running boards, might just throw some others in random places. the sled is red, should i go with red leds to match or blue?

· Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the response, so far I'm the only one in the house that likes em. I found them at Auto Zone, they had a few choices, these were stick on 20" long, was gonna put more but wasn't sure about how the charging system would handle it. I went with blue to match,couldn't find small red or I would've done something on the back end.

· Registered
96 Posts
Here's my daughters indy with the led's, I covered headlight to see them better.
Looks good..Cant have them in NY..Friend of mine received a ticket last year for impersonating an emergency vehicle..God forbid we make our self's more visible to other snowmobile-rs and vehicles..

· Premium Member
33,895 Posts
Looks good..Cant have them in NY..Friend of mine received a ticket last year for impersonating an emergency vehicle..God forbid we make our self's more visible to other snowmobile-rs and vehicles..
As long as they are not on when in motion he should not have gotten a ticket.
Same rules apply to cars/trucks, under lighting is OK except when in motion.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.