Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,cant get my tcat over 116 in 2000 its a 99 with gutted airbox,jetted down (have temp gauges) 20 thou timming key and heel clickers with a 57/50 and red /white ac spring and 192 studs. ive tried my full shift rpm from 8000 to 8500 and no or little change set my centre to centre using sled pro clutch tool.any ideas?:confused:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Only 116mph? Somebody has the need for speed.

Seems like you're on top of things. Are your clutches making a full shift? Get your black magic marker and draw a line on the clutch from the center to the edge of the face. See if the belt is wiping all of the line off. Track tension maybe?

Trim the windshield and crouch a little lower... he he he...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im running the track pretty loose now any looser and it ratchets. im going to try and tighten it up a bit and see if that helps(cut down on balooning maybe) i know im not getting a full shift as the secondary cover was hitting the helix so i installed some littlewashers under it but havent tried it since.the belt runs up to 1/8 " away from top maybe.i put the sled in the air the other day and gave her hell on the stand the only way the speedo would climb higher than where i run through at 116 is if the rpms came up around 9000. im beginning to think that all those people that claim 120 plus out of a bone stock tcat have great imaginations. i think in order to acheive these speeds it needs to be geared higher.:mad:

·
Administrator
1,152 Posts
1000ml said:
im running the track pretty loose now any looser and it ratchets. im going to try and tighten it up a bit and see if that helps(cut down on balooning maybe) i know im not getting a full shift as the secondary cover was hitting the helix so i installed some littlewashers under it but havent tried it since.the belt runs up to 1/8 " away from top maybe.i put the sled in the air the other day and gave her hell on the stand the only way the speedo would climb higher than where i run through at 116 is if the rpms came up around 9000. im beginning to think that all those people that claim 120 plus out of a bone stock tcat have great imaginations. i think in order to acheive these speeds it needs to be geared higher.:mad:
Why on earth do you want to go 120 anyway! :) Sounds like if you are running at the max rpms with no engine hesistations is it probably a gearing / clutching issue. I don't know what the stock T-cat runs up to, but 120 is pretty fast. I wouldn't imagine arctic cat would gear it to go any faster.

·
Registered
74 Posts
One improtant thing I forgot to ask. How do you know you are going 116mph? Do the speedo's on T-cats go past 100 because all the Cat speedo's I've seen stop at 100mph. You would have to tell by saying that the needle was on the "T" or the "C" in the word Arctic Cat. You need a radar gun if you don't already have one. Or somebody with a fast car!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey guys, ive radared my machine thats how i know my speed ,that is straight down on my speedo. im pretty sure its not out of gear as i hear all the time about stock tcats breaking 120 quite often.i know i dont need to go that fast but i want to be able to just to say i can i guess.one thing i did find was my cover on the secondary was still hitting the helix and not giving me a full shift.i had ground a little material out of there already but not enough i guess. i put little washers on the towers behind the cover to shim it out but havent been able to run yet due to bad weather.

its a funny thing with speed /power by the end of the season you start thinking your machine just doesnt have what it used too .untill next season when you get on it for the first ride of the year and think yeha what a rocket.its a viscous cycle.:D

·
Registered
74 Posts
I know what you mean about the sled feeling fast early in the season and slower later on. At the end of the season, I would find myself pricing out big bore kits in the Black Magic catalog.

How about your slides. I've heard people losing MPH using colored slides as opposed to black ones. Not sure about that though. I doubt you are but make sure you're not using gear lube in the case. Use ATF if you are. Chain tension could be a little tight. Bearings maybe? Try a different belt. How many miles on your Cat anyway?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i just broke 3000 miles this year but have owned the sled since new i still have the original sliders on it. ive got my chain tensioner all the way in or it slips(getting a little stretched me thinks).im running synthetic gearlube in the case but have run dexron(atf) with no change. i tried a new belt the other day with very little difference. ive got to tighten the track up a bit more as i just got in from a blast down the river (damn its cold out) and it sounds like the track is slipping under full load .still havent had it on the gun since i shimmed the cover though. some stupid little bastards ruined are drag strip .when it was all slushy they removed the baracades that were put up and drove all over the track. if i could only have caught them doing it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Bastards anyway! Shouldn't be messin with a T-CAT's territory!

Mmm? Don't know anymore. Original slides! I'm impressed. I would think with a T-cat that they would go quick. Chain tensioner in all the way? If you have stock gearing, it shouldn't have to be in that far. Chains can stretch but not much. Have you been breaking any chains?

Sound like the problem lies in the secondary. The helix should not hit anything except the rollers. Remember, your sled is getting old too. She just might be a little tired.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm-a- geussin' its the secondary also. Thundas should push 120 easily. my 500 goes over 100+. (need to be radared to see though.) You ever try some nitrous? Get ya to point a to b in a hurra

www.boondockers.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts