Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, im new here. I just bought a 1995 mach z 780. It is in great shape, with a brand new track. I picked it for for $1000. There is some rust on the skis that I would like to fix. I was planning on taking off the skis and sandblasting them and repainting them. Does anyone know a type of spraypaint I can use the will stand up to the beating of skis? Thanks. And also, how do I get to the battery? Where can I get a repair manual for this sled? Thanks a lot!

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
As far as I know, those are not electric start, so it doesn't have a battery. Clymer makes a serice manual for your sled. Check eBay for the manual. Do a search for "Clymer Ski Doo". Any kind of Rust Oleum paint should do a good job, as long as you prep it well first.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the sled does definitely have electric start. I can see the starter motor. It also has a battery the I can see, that is under and behind the airbox, so it will be near impossible to get to...just wondering if anyone knows how. The electric start isnt working.

·
Runnin Against The Wind!
8,036 Posts
You might want to concider powder coating your ski's. They will look great and illiminate rust. You will have to take the air box out if you want to get to the battery. Seems odd that the battery would be behind the air box.
BTW, Welcome to the Snow Show!

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
That's cool that it has it. Some one must have added it and you'll really enjoy it this winter. They are a bi**h to pull over! You need to remove the airbox, which pulls up and out from the top, and it should be right under there. Where in SE NH are you??

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I took the skis off and the carbide bolts are all rusted and one of them broke right off. Looks like ill need new carbides. Ill also replace the skins. And I am hoping to sandblast the skis, and maybe stick with rustoleum for a cheap result. And smallengineguy, I am in Nottingham, about 15 minutes from UNH. There are 2350 miles on the sled and it starts up first pull, very easily. What should I buy for carbides that are good quality and where should i get them? And how do I take the bolt off that holds the plastic skin on? It has just the circle on the bottom, so theres nothing to hold on to, so it spins. If possible, i would like to buy the carbides and skins for a total of $100 or less. Is it possible? Im 15 and on a budget. Id like to get the sled in nice shape for the winter. Thanks!

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
If the sled has a picked track, the carbide length has to match the pick number. If the track isn't studded, 4" of carbide is good. Up to 96 or so, 6" will work, etc.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
okay, thanks. I am doing some touch up work and i sandblasted the skis and am going to paint them, soon. If anyone wants some pics, post it on here and ill get 'em up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok, got it off, replaced the battery, electric start works great, but For some reason, it just stopped sparking...no spark in any cylinder. I havent run it in probably a week, but a week ago, it started right up. It wont spark with pull or electric start. Is it the CDI box?

·
Registered Snow-Offender
1,054 Posts
awoodman said:
ok, got it off, replaced the battery, electric start works great, but For some reason, it just stopped sparking...no spark in any cylinder. I havent run it in probably a week, but a week ago, it started right up. It wont spark with pull or electric start. Is it the CDI box?
I'd start with checking kill switch and key wiring and connections.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Checked them all just now. Any other suggestions? How do i tell what the problem is, after ive checked connections? What would i see if the cdi was bad? What about the coil? Stator?

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Probably not the coil. If it worked before you took the airbox off, it seems hard to think it just quit. Is the tether switch connected well?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yea, the tether switch is connected fine, I held it in with my finger to make sure. Under the oil pump, there is a connector. What is that for? The oil pump was dripping because othe a loose hose, and it dripped on that. Could that be the problem? Thanks again! And do you actually do small engine work? I'm not far from you, so could I pay you to look at it, if I have to? Thanks.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
It couldn't hurt t odisconnect that wire and clean the contacts. I do have a small engine shop and can work on sleds.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts