Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I just picked up a 1978 JD Spitfire for $125. Is wasn't idling and needed to be primed to start. I pretty much put some Seafoam in the gas and it seemed to fix the majority of that issue. There are a few things that need attention, though. For example, replacing the windshield, brake cable, seat, etc. It's not in the best cosmetic condition, but mostly everything should be able to be replaced.

The problem I'm unsure of is regarding a piece of Nylon? When I picked it up, the guy told me that there was some Nylon that goes under the sled and that would help with steering. I wasn't sure what he was talking about, but I thought I'd just reach out to you guys to see if you know what he's talking about.

·
Registered
142 Posts
if i were you take that carb of and clean it. he is probably refering to a slider or a carbide

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm not too worried about the carb. I'm pretty sure I can handle that one alright (I think). It's this nylon he was referring to. That's confusing me.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now that I think about it, I think he did mention something about whatever this "nylon" piece he was referring to helped keep the skis low to the ground as well...

·
Registered
168 Posts
ummm that would not be the hyfax's that would be the nylon spring preload blocks look under there and see if you notice any of them missing. there is 2 ends to the springs a short and long and they should both be riding in a nylon unless the end is in an eye bolt. and the preload blocks usually had 3 sides giving different preloads less preload would give less weight transfer keeping the skis on the ground better

1 - 13 of 13 Posts