Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 10 year old has outgrown his Arctic Cat ZR 200, both in size and speed. I don't feel that he is big enough for a full size sled. Can anyone recommend a "midsize" sled that might be appropriate? Mostly trail riding with some back country as well.

·
Super Moderator
17,383 Posts
If you're looking for something used, there are a lot of fan cooled sleds out there that should be light enough for him to handle but not so powerful that you have a heart attack when he hits the go flipper. (been there!)

There are also new sleds such as the Polaris Indy EVO that are not horribly expensive and could fill the bill. There has existed a pretty big gap between the kiddy sleds to adult sleds for a long time. Several off-shore manufacturers tried to sell something that would fit that market, but they did not stay in the marketplace for very long.

When my sons were that age, I found an older Indy Lite that worked well, even though it was full size. I also had a couple of Yamaha 300 Enticers, but while they were small enough and light, they required a lot of maintenance to keep them on the snow. Something newer may be a bit easier.

Some of the 440 size liquid cooled sleds may work, as well. I had both a 440 Arctic Cat Prowler and a 440 Polaris Indy that both did really well with my sons at that age. The Prowler was lighter, but lacked a front bumper so was a royal pain to move around or get unstuck. The Indy was a full size sled, so it did well with the kidlets as well as any beginning adults that I took out.

Good luck on the search and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
My kids all flock to the 1999 Arctic Cat Jag 340. Ages from 10 to 16

1 - 4 of 4 Posts