Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Yamagirl
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I need some help finding some information about a walbro carb. I am pretty sure I found it on this web site. Someone posted that their John Deere was lacking power. Then someone else replied and mentioned that there are (I think he said two) little "limiter caps??" (look like tiny little frost plugs), that are covering orfices that need to be cleaned, but often over looked. The guy even posted a picture of the carb, showing the caps. Does anyone remember this by chance. I am not sure if it was the winter of 2008-09 or 2009 -10. Can someone remember? :dunno: Thanks for reading this.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yamagirl,

Depending on what year 300 you have, your carb could be model WDA31 or WDB31.

The "welch" plugs you mentioned are included in rebuild kits for Tillotsons. Tillotson and Walbro diaphragm carbs are very similar to each other. Since they include these in Tillotson kits, it makes sense that they would be included in the Walbro kits as well. They do need to come off for cleaning the passages during overhaul, and be replaced.

I did look in the Clymer sled "bible" for the exploded view; it doesn't show where the plugs are.

You might try looking in the service section posted at the head of this forum and see if someone has put it there. The info you need may even be included if you purchase a rebuild kit. That would be a good idea anyway, if you plan to dismantle your carb. A lot of the parts are pretty fragile and it's a lot easier to just overhaul and replace everything rather than trying to reuse old, tired stuff.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. Good luck with your sled.

-Strato-

·
Registered
323 Posts
they are welch plugs as mentioned, many times underneath is a spring loaded check valve,or an oriface that can become plugged. to remove it you carefully drill a small hole in it, hook it with a seal pick and pop it out.

new welch plugs come in and over haul kit, after every thing is clean, you set the welch plug in place, tap the center with a small punch, the dish shaped welch plug will flatten out and seal against the recessed sides the welch plug sits in

·
Yamagirl
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys. I will get a carb kit and hope the welch plugs are in it. I rebuilt the carb a couple of years ago ( probably 3 hrs of driving ago). I didn't replace, or even see in the kit, any welch plugs. My brother is the one who uses it and he says that sometimes it takes these spells were it bogs and has no power. When I saw the thread on this web site I thought this could be the problem. I just wanted to reads it again. Oh and it is a 1974 john deere 300.

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
There are two kits, one is just the pump rebuild kit, and the other is a "full carb rebuild" which will include new needles and welch plugs. That is the one that you want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts