Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wonderin what the top speed on a 95 Jag 440 is? I am just checking cause mine will do about 55 right now and I'm wonderin if thats average.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think my crappy 340 could do that on the right wind.Something must be wrong.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What might be the problem then? It seems to run fine, it fires up easy, idles fine and there doesn't seem to be a hitch when accelerating. WTF?

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
The jag should be capable of about 90. If you have a new belt and the carbs are set correctly, you may have a clutching issue. Check for free movement of the primary and secondary by removing the belt and manually pushing on the sheeves. One or both of them may be hanging up. If so ytou will need to take them apart and clean out the old belt dust and ues dry lube when you reassemble them. The other item may be a broken spring in either of the clutches. This will cause the low top out.

·
Registered
177 Posts
cheewee said:
90? my friends got a 97 jag 440 that tops out at 60 or 65 but he beats it pretty bad so im not sure
90 seems a bit high, but i'm would think you'd get more than 55 out of it. as was said about cleaning clutches and making sure everything is working fine. could also loosen your track to where you can check all the roller wheels in the suspention. sometime the bearings seize. they should freely. also make sure the track is not to tight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
55-60 is normal top speed in regular conditions for a single carb fan cooled jag. I used to hit 75-80 but only in perfectly smooth 1" hardpack lakes on a 93 and it takes a few miles to get up there:) If you have a Jag Z or Jag Liquid it should be faster than that.

·
Registered
85 Posts
my brother's 98 jag will push real hard to about 50, but i think as far as top end goes he's never had it past 70

·
Registered
20 Posts
SierraCrust said:
I was just wonderin what the top speed on a 95 Jag 440 is? I am just checking cause mine will do about 55 right now and I'm wonderin if thats average.
My old 340 Puma topped out around 60 downhill So i think that jag could do a little more

·
Super Moderator
18,403 Posts
Your 440 should go faster than 55. As already mentioned, if the engine RPM is where it should be, it has to be a clutching issue. Worn springs, hanging clutch weights, sticky sheaves can all contribute to the inability for the primary to fully shift, which basically is like being stuck in third gear on your 4 speed car. You can rev all you want, but you just can't go fast.

It's easy to check how far the clutch is shifting; take a felt marker and mark a line from the center of the primary clutch to the outside edge. As the clutch shifts, the belt will wear away the mark and you can see how far it goes up the sheaves on the primary. It should be pretty close to wiping the line out. If you have LOTS of line left, the clutch is not shifting fully and you need to do some maintenance.

AC clutches are not known for long term durability, if you have a couple of thousand miles on it, it's time to get it rebuilt. New slider buttons, new spring, new bushings, maybe new weights (some are not bushed and have to be tossed when they start wearing) will work wonders for your primary.

good luck!

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
440's are not top speed machines. they are made to be very quick. so, even if a 340 might top out more, ill take the 440 in a race

however, it should be capable of more.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Magoo, the 440 engine in this sled he is talking about is no where near the 440 engine in a race sled. This sled must be fan cooled..

My 88 indy sport 340 used to do 60 mph. So your 440 should do atleast 65 id have to say.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts