Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the Jag out twice this season and it's missing/sputtering a bit. It starts off fine, gets moving, then had a flat spot/sputter when you give it throttle. When it revs up, similar issue. Just doesn't feel like smooth.

I pulled the carb today and gave things a quick once over. There's a little green haze here and there; probably ethanol residue. Pilot looked good, so did the main. I'm going to soak the pilot...then soak the carb; both in my carb dip tank thing.

This carb has always been a bit finicky. The machine sat for awhile before I bought it and it was clogged the first time I pulled it apart. The drain on the bowl is pretty much fused in. Hoping that another good cleaning takes care of things.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good tip KC. I plan on removing all the brass from the carb before soaking it.

I may get a set of carb cleaning tools as well. Looks like they're fairly reasonable on Amazon.

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
The only tool s needed would be a pilot jet screw driver and small wire to floss the jets!
The pilot jet screw driver I made is a 1/4" std Craftsman and I ground the edges till it fits the pilot tube! (Don't use the next smaller one)
And to floss I have about a 3" long piece of stranded 10 gauge wire and I striped half of it, and then fold one stand 90 deg, makes a T to floss with!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks KC. I have a small screw driver that I use to pull the pilot. I took the pilot out yesterday and it "looks" clean. However, I know looks can be deceiving. I think you may be on to something with pulling the air screw and cleaning out that area.

I just want to get this machine dialed in. It's always been a bit finicky when cold. Usually, once it's warmed up, it runs like a champ.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A bit of a setback today. I pulled the carb, pulled all the jets, gave things a quick clean with a carb cleaning tool set I bought, then soaked the carb for a bit. Once it had soaked, I ran the tools through everything again. The pilot was giving me a problem. I could not get any of the tools through the pilot from top to bottom or bottom to top. No issues with the side openings on the pilot.

The sled will not idle worth a darn. It won't rev over 3k either. Barely made it up a hill; I had to get off and walk beside it. At one point, it back fired after it stalled while I was working the throttle to try to get it to idle.

So I'm thinking my pilot is clogged. I adjusted the air screw and that changed how it started and idled, but that was about it.

I plan on ordering a new pilot and going from there.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you can see a nice round hole of light through the pilot jet, it is fine. Take a can of carb cleaner with the small red plastic hose on it. Shoot it through where the pilot jet screws into. If you do not get a good strong jet of cleaner out the air inlet of the pilot circuit, then it is plugged inside the carb. Also, use compressed air to blow out all of those passages.

Do this to all the holes in the carb. Just soaking may not get everything out.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I use a small piece of wire to clean those passages as carb cleaner or compressed air won't get everything. As KC said that really works well, I use a piece of wire as well on mine during the season if it acts up and between those 3 it gets all of it.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate it guys. I could not really see through the pilot looking from the top or bottom. The tools I had would not go through it either. This was after it soaked for awhile in the cleaner. I found a brand new OEM pilot on e-bay for just under $6 shipped. I had an e-bay $5 coupon so $.94 to my door! Hoping this takes care of it. I should have it this week and hopefully installed by next weekend.

If this turns out to be the issue, I may pick up an extra pilot for Puma. The openings in these things are so darn small! Doesn't take much to gunk it up. Just surprised it didn't clean out after a soak and cleaning tools. Thinking it must be a bit of dirt or grit that's really lodged in there.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Things got a little strange today.....

I pulled the carb, took out the old jet, installed the new, gave things a look over, reinstalled, squirted some gas into the carb via the fuel line inlet, installed the fuel line and started pulling. Started fine, idled good for about 30 seconds...then it started falling. I messed with the choke, throttle. It had a tough time staying running.

I shut it down, trimmed about .5" of each plug wire and started again. Same thing, started fine, but had a tough time idling. I lifted the rear of the sled on a block of wood, warmed it up and started to spin the track. It spun, but it was sputtering. It just didn't sound right. My wife swung by: "That doesn't sound right" (So it wasn't just me!)

I pulled the plugs, pulled the coil...pulled one wire off the coil, pulled the top engine shroud, did a compression test (115 each side) and pulled the choke plunger. Snugged everything back up after looking everything over.

I gave it a few pulls and it lit up. Settled into a nice idle with no input needed from the throttle. I let it warm up for a bit then took it around the woods. It ran fine for the most part. It didn't feel as snappy as usual, but we'll see.

So I'm completely stumped. I technically didn't do anything aside from remove some things and reinstall...and it now runs better.

I'm confused!

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
OK no you just have a few problems!
OK the carb cleaning tools made me giggle.
Again a good screw driver, a 1/4" nut driver or main jet tool.
And I have a 3" long piece of number 10 gauge stranded house wire.
I stipped half of it, then just peal down 1 strand and 'Floss' pilot jet.

You cut 1/4" off the plug wire good!
You removed and replaced pilot jet good!

Did you remove the air screw and the clean the passages with carb clean and straw?
Same with the choke system!

Then there is the float, does it shut off as it gets 'Level' with carb body?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep! I cleaned every passage. I pulled all the brass from the carbs and cleaned out all passages...before soaking and again after.

Float height is spot on. Set that a season or two ago and re-checked it when I had the carb out.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took the Jag out today for a good ride on our trail system. It started fine...idled OK. It had somewhat of a rough idle when cold. When I went to take off, it hesitated and wanted to die...then it backfired and stalled out. I restarted it, did a few laps in the woods and it was fine. Made my way to my buddy's place...no issues. Through the first half of the ride it was great. We stopped for a bit, 15 minutes, chatted, had some food, then started on again. In a straight section, I got into the throttle. When I let off, it was popping. It also had a mid range bog and continued popping when letting off the throttle. I could actually feel the pop in the thumb throttle. After maybe 3-4 minutes...it cleared up. It was a little boggy going up a hill, we crossed a road, got into a field and it opened up just fine. Ran great the rest of the day.

Any ideas? This thing really has me stumped. When it runs good, it zips! But it seems to have issues sporadically.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Crank seals? Even if it doesn't do it all the time?

I know spraying carb cleaning is one way to check the seals. Does that damage the seals at all? I have to imagine carb cleaner has some pretty strong solvents in it.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I took a vid of the idle this morning. It idles fine in the first 30 second or so, then gets into this stage. After about 5+ minutes of warming up, it'll settle into a smoother idle and run fine:

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did some testing today. It may be a plug cap issue. I'll keep you all posted.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts