Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
***sorry this is a duplicate post, it's unintended and I cannot erase it!

Hello all, I'm looking to change out the jackshaft bearing that sits behind the secondary clutch on a 1990 Polaris Indy 650.

There are three bolts that hold the retainer on.
Two are accessible and one is underneath. Is the hidden fastener accessible without ripping the suspension out of it or more??

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have not replaced the bearing on that model of sled, but the ones I have replaced, it is easier to work on with the suspension out of the sled.

·
Super Moderator
17,198 Posts
The jackshaft bearing may be removable without taking off the jackshaft. If not, you will have to remove the chaincase cover, remove the sprockets and chain, and remove the chaincase to free up the jackshaft for removal. Can you touch the bottom nut on the bearing retainer? If you can touch it, and can slide the retainer off, the bearing probably has a locking collar that can be loosened with two allen screws. The collar is eccentric, so you have to loosen the allen screws, then rotate the collar so it no longer makes contact with the jackshaft. It may all come off where the secondary clutch was attached. On some bulkheads, the hole in the bulkhead is too small to allow the bearing to slide off. Those you have to remove the other side to gain access. Good luck!

I had a 1990 Indy 650, that was a fun sled. It was a rocket, but OMG the suspension about killed me. I'm glad they have made a LOT of advances in suspension travel over the years!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts