Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I need some help. Newbie to this site and to snowmobiles...I have a 1989 Polaris Idny 650 Triple and everything was running fine today..Unitl I took my 5 year old out with me.

I was running good and then it seemed to backfire. it kind of stuttered a bit while we were crossing a field, but then went on ok. Then at another point, about 20 seconds later, ot backfired again. Then there was a puff of smoke that came from the exhaust and I shut it off...Now the thing will not start.

I have it parked in a field and it is about 2 degrees out so I haven't checked anything on it. I did change the plugs in it 2 weeks ago and there is fresh gas in it as well. Last year it ran fine. Any thoughts or starting points for me?

Thanks for you help in advance.

Jeff....Un-happy snowmobile owner.:confused:

·
Registered
141 Posts
have you checked the plugs since it died?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am heading out now with three new plugs to go and get the sled. It is about 5 miles from my house. So I just got my daughter back and now I am going to try the plugs.

Any other suggestions??

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Checked the plugs, and to be sure I replaced them. Got the sled home and nothing. it wont start. Checked the plugs and wires, but nothing.

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No spark tester, but one of my friends may have one. The plugs look, oily and black, but not really bad.

Someone that was on the trail stopped and helped me load the sled, looked at the plugs and said that they didn't look bad.

Man I just need to buy a house and then a new sled can be bought........Close, so close.

Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts