Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee19/drewbabich/?action=view&current=P1010329.jpg

My 600 xc sp ran for five minutes after de summerizing this weekend and promptly died. Looks like no fuel. I did shut the fuel tab, but there was no spilage at all when I dissconected it. I opened it and pull the starter cord a bunch and still got no fuel to this mysterious little red hose...

What should I do. Check the fuel filter???? Is this the fuel filter.

P1010332.jpg picture by drewbabich - Photobucket

Sorry manual is in the mail right now!!!

·
Super Moderator
16,783 Posts
Yes, there should be fuel coming from the fuel pump to the carbs. There is a weighted filter on the end of the pick-up hose inside the tank. That filter may be clogged, the pick-up line may be kinked, or the pick-up line could have fallen off the outlet in the tank.

Here's a link to the Polaris website, find your sled and it should be able to show you the parts to the fuel system.

Browse

You should be able to figure out pretty easily what the problem is, there aren't many parts to the fuel system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what makes the fuel flow to the end of the fuel line

what makes the fuel flow to the end of the fuel line connected to the carbs?

Should continuously pulling the pull start crank it through?

Should I try to pull the pick up hose in the tank up through the gas fill cap and inspect the end?

Should I take that metal filter looking thing apart thats is mounted on the 'firewall in the engine bay' that three fuel lines come in and out of? Is that thing a filter?

I got all kinds of questions.... I appreciate any advice.

Not really sure what to try to do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so I pulled out the pick up and blew on it

so I pulled out the pick up fuel line from the tank and blew on it.

Fuel came out at the carb connection spot.

Connected it back to the carb.

Started it with some ether. It ran again and I gas'd it with the throttle. Gave me 30 sec or so of good love. Then it died. Won't start again.

On its own or with ether.

I just don't get why it won't run if I spay it with ether??? I know at this point it should have spark, fuel and compression.

I would clean the carbs, but don't want to if it won't start with an ether shot through the carbs....

·
Super Moderator
16,783 Posts
If you have fuel to the red hose and none is getting into the carbs, the problem is likely the inlet needle/seat. It's common for gas left in the carbs over the summer to evaporate, leaving behind varnish that sticks the needles closed. Best bet would be to remove the carbs and remove the float bowls and inlet needle/seat and make sure that the needles aren't sticking.

Carb cleaning is a yearly ritual for me, I find if I don't clean 'em before the first ride, I end up having problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts