Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Xtra lite is a lite setup for those 340s and what not. The Xtra-12 is a very tippy suspension that tbh isn't as good as the Xtra-10. I've had a sled with the Xtra-12 and never again. Two different types of rebound/spring setups as well. Dan remembers the exact term. Put it this way people upgrade to the Xtra-10 even if the snowmobile has a Xtra-12 in it they will swap them out for the Xtra-10 because it is that much better of a ride overall.

·
Administrator
18,591 Posts
The Xtra Lite is a rising rate suspension, similar to the Xtra 10 but lighter to reduce weight in the mountain sleds. Rising suspensions get stiffer the more they compress, so are more resistant to bottoming the suspension.

The Xtra 12 suspension is a falling rate suspension, it gets softer the farther the suspension travels. It's great for miles and miles and miles of trails, but isn't so great in boondocking, mountain climbing, or even powder riding. For a two-up trail sled and a cushy ride, the Xtra 12 would be perfect.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I've seen the Xtra lite in the early to mid '90s as well in the lower power snowmobiles from factory but was a different suspension compared to the ones in the RMK/SKS and what not. Then they changed it and upgraded it for the ones steep mentioned. Basically for some reason Polaris had 2 versions of it was kinda known back then till the newer ones came out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've seen the Xtra lite in the early to mid '90s as well in the lower power snowmobiles from factory but was a different suspension compared to the ones in the RMK/SKS and what not. Then they changed it and upgraded it for the ones steep mentioned. Basically for some reason Polaris had 2 versions of it was kinda known back then till the newer ones came out.
The XTRA-LITE is on a 1999 Polaris Indy Sport Touring and I never heard of a XTRA-LITE before, thanks for the answer!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts