Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
going to get my first sled this season, have a few questions about the 1989 Ski-doo formula mx lt.
is it good?
is 850$ a good price?
does it have oil injection?
how does it do on powder?
any answers and tips are apreciated!

·
Registered
469 Posts
KC,

It is a 460.

I had a 89 MX. The LT has wider skis and a bit longer track than the MX did. I think the LT has a 126 track.

They were a great sled in the day. Just a little on the heavy side if you get it stuck in deep snow. Even though it is a long track, it is not a deep snow or mountain sled. Keep it on the trails, and you will be fine.

It has Oil Injection.

It has plenty of power. Mine would do 80 mph without any problems. It would pull hard all the up to that. It also gets good milage. I would get in the mid to upper teens trail riding.

It has a primer for cold starts. You give it a few pumps after fuel is flowing through the primer. Then you give the motor a few pulls and it will start. DO NOT touch the throttle!! When it wants to die, give it another pump. If it wants to die again, give it another pump. Did I say do not touch the throttle during warm up?

It all depends on the condition. If it has been left outside without a cover, then it can have potential problems. If it is clean and was stored out of the weather, then that is a good price in today's market. What is the mileage? A high mile sled will need the top end freshened up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
KC,

It is a 460.

I had a 89 MX. The LT has wider skis and a bit longer track than the MX did. I think the LT has a 126 track.

They were a great sled in the day. Just a little on the heavy side if you get it stuck in deep snow. Even though it is a long track, it is not a deep snow or mountain sled. Keep it on the trails, and you will be fine.

It has Oil Injection.

It has plenty of power. Mine would do 80 mph without any problems. It would pull hard all the up to that. It also gets good milage. I would get in the mid to upper teens trail riding.

It has a primer for cold starts. You give it a few pumps after fuel is flowing through the primer. Then you give the motor a few pulls and it will start. DO NOT touch the throttle!! When it wants to die, give it another pump. If it wants to die again, give it another pump. Did I say do not touch the throttle during warm up?

It all depends on the condition. If it has been left outside without a cover, then it can have potential problems. If it is clean and was stored out of the weather, then that is a good price in today's market. What is the mileage? A high mile sled will need the top end freshened up.
I had a 1990 mx great sled, great on gas, good performance, but don't you dare go boon docking with it unless you know some one with a Blackhawk or uh 47 to get you out

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
$850 seems a bit high. Should be able to get a mid-90's sled for that and that is a big improvement on suspension.

The 467 cc motor is an awesome motor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts