Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying my first snowmobile, and I found a 1997 Arctic Cat 580ZR EFI.. Im kind of specticle about buying an older EFI machine.. Because thats when they first came out with efi ,correct? Im not sure how reliable it was back then..

If anyone could help me out or tell me if im wrong or right, i would much appreciate it.

Thanks,
Adam.

·
Registered
37 Posts
They are reliable, but can have problems as well as he new ones. EFI if they problems you have to take them in, they are all computerized and very hard to mess with in a normal garage. EFI is a great thing to have, ecspecially in cold weather of first start of the season!

·
Super Moderator
18,334 Posts
AC came out with EFI in 1993. The type they initially had was dependent on a good battery to run things. The later models (I think your ZR falls in here) were batteryless and were even more reliable. I had a 1995 EFI ZR580, that thing started on the second pull all the time. It had the battery. I never had any issues with that part of the electrical system. Like xxPOLARISBOYX said, they are reliable but can have problems. The good thing is, most of the problems will be sensor-related and the diagnostic LED on the side of the computer will lead you to the sensor that is having problems.

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
Yep, 97 is battery less EFI and the main issue is actually the stator (over heating and shorting out) on some models. An easy preventive fix was to drill some ports into the stator housing, or use washers as spacers on the recoil to allow more cooler air into that area.

Other than that, they are dead nuts reliable.

·
Registered
26,124 Posts
Cat started EFI in 91! The only troble with the EFI is the fuel presure regulator! As they age they get stif and increase fuel! I have made up an adjustable fuel presure regulator complete with gauge.
The 97 ZR 580 is still my BEST FOR THE BUCK trail sled! Great sled! In good shape there worth about $1000 -1200.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've got a 97 zr 580 that has a battery and has close to 5000 miles! havent had a prb with the EFI (knock on wood) :laugh:
great sled very reliable and strong running motor! you'll be very impressed if its ur first sled

·
Registered
37 Posts
Everything everyone has said is exactly true! Its just when the sled has troubles you cant go clean your carburator and get back on the trail! You have to buy a new sensor or whatever it may be!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do your self a favor stay away from EFI, I have had many sleds, the straight carbs are the way to go..... EFI has many built in problems, the older EFI sleds are real hard on gas as well......good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It really doesn't matter two or three, one thought to keep in mind is typically the higher powered sleds eat more gas. For most riders, a 500 or 600 sled is plenty of get up, to do what majority of riders want to do. If your goal is to go really fast, danger in that, then get the bigger sleds. The only thing I have had experience with is the gas mileage of an EFI is about 1/3 lower.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Do your self a favor stay away from EFI, I have had many sleds, the straight carbs are the way to go..... EFI has many built in problems, the older EFI sleds are real hard on gas as well......good luck.
odd, I don't think i'll ever buy a carbed sled again! My efi sleds are been far better runners overall, and I haven't had a single problem related to efi.

·
twins rule!
370 Posts
If there right to start with, EFI or carbs will be one of the LEAST likely things to go wrong or BREAK on any sled. store It with 2 gal. of pure aviation gas in tank+fuel system+ next season you should not have to clean ANYTHING in the fuel system. just my op. but it has worked for me for YEARS.

·
Registered
171 Posts
EFI's arent reliable most of the time, from my expeirence problems just lead to one after another

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Again all related to prior maintenance, and if you are goint to make those kinds of statements, back them up with facts. Blanket statements with no proof are no proof at all.

My 93 has never had any issues and always starts in two pulls when cold, 1/4 pull warm.
It is as maintenance free as you can get. It always starts and runs in any temp.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts