Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this used sled and it runs great. I noticed under the hood the idle is suppose to be 1600 and it runs now just under 3000. Will that cause a problem with the sled or should I adjust it? It is a 1992 Polaris Indy Touring Deluxe. If I should decrease the rpm's how would I do that? Thanks

·
Registered
196 Posts
there is a spring loaded srew between your carbs by your throttle cable that will allow your rpms to change at idle. I had the same prob however. Mine would come to about 2800 rpm but wouldn't fall off to 1600(ussaully should take about 10-20 seconds on mine). I loosened my throttle cable just the smallest amount and probl;em was fixed.

·
Super Moderator
17,904 Posts
Some times a high idle (especially if it has been running fine) can indicate a lean condition. To rule out serious problems, check the crank seal behind the PTO and the carb boot adapters from the carb to the engine for leaks and cracks. Spray some carb cleaner, engine starter, or even WD40 on the boots and seal at idle. If you have a change in the idle, you have an air leak and need to correct it.

Another thing that can cause a lean condition at idle is dirt/varnish in the pilot jet circuit. Does the idle drop to normal when you engage the clutch? If so, try turning the pilot jets in to richen the air/fuel mix at idle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts