Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having problems with my sled lately, It will not run over 30 mph. It will start up and idle ok, but when I get on and go, it accelerates really slow and won't go over 30. Then, after I made a 300 hundred yard loop around my house, and stopped long enough to put my gloves on, I got back on it it wouldn't go, it hardly revved up and just inched along. It seems to me that as soon as the belt gets slightly warm, it won't hook up. If I am lucky, I can inch it over the edge of a hill and get enough momentum to get it to pick up and accelerate, even then it is very slow and only does 30. Could this be a clutch problem or is something wrong with the motor?

The belt is two days old, I have thoroughly cleaned the carb, and replaced the spark plugs, what is going on here? Thanks for your help.

·
GIT ER DONE
312 Posts
Lift the back end up with something and run it that way.

I had one that acted like yours , when the track was off the ground it ran great, when back on ground under a load it would barely move. If I got it moving away it would go until you stopped again . Then you were starting over again.

Turned out to be a broken spring in the primary clutch. It would engage against the belt way to quickly and the motor couldn't build RPM's .

·
Registered
135 Posts
I agree ^^

If compression is good, check the clutching.

·
GIT ER DONE
312 Posts
Some of them are not that easy to get off. So if you don't need to then leave it in place. I could visually see the broken spring I had through the holes in the clutch.

Take your drive belt off and run the motor a bit and watch it work. Be carefull not to over-rev motor while belt is off.

The clutch will move towards the motor IE: squeeze in . It should take quite a few extra RPM's over idle to get it to move. If it moves too quickly there might be a problem, if it don't move at all there definately is a problem.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Could be as simple as a fouled plug...

·
Registered
170 Posts
0to60n3 said:

Take your drive belt off and run the motor a bit and watch it work. Be carefull not to over-rev motor while belt is off.

Have you ever personally done this?? Wouldn't the two sheaves in the primary just smack together (upon engagement) due to the lack of a belt ??

I have been told by many people to NEVER run a sled past the engagement RPM without a belt - but I have never tried it myself.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
DitchPickle said:
Have you ever personally done this?? Wouldn't the two sheaves in the primary just smack together (upon engagement) due to the lack of a belt ??

I have been told by many people to NEVER run a sled past the engagement RPM without a belt - but I have never tried it myself.
Yeah... why wouldn't you just jack the rear, and run it with the belt on?

·
GIT ER DONE
312 Posts
I told him in the earlier post - "see above"- to jack up the back and run it. Now if hes past that ........ read further down .....

He said he wanted to know how to inspect the clutch to know if it was working.

If you have other drive train problems that was holding you back it would also look as if the clutch wasn't moving properly with full motion ,with the belt still on, correct . Any other questions?

Nobody said remove belt and "Pin the throttle". It's not that difficult to watch it move slowly - but move all the way over. Then you know it moves "all the way over " Its not going to slam over with proper throttling.

I check primary clutches with the belt off.

Never broke one yet doing it that way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts