Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the pull cord on my 95 Polaris INdy 440. The problem I am having now is that when I pull the cord out enough for it to engage, it won't go any further. Now matter how hard I pull the cord, I cannot get it out more than a few inches. What could this be and how do I fix it?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Yes i would have to say that you seized the engine.:(

·
Registered
570 Posts
Would the engine turn over before you replaced the recoil?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the story is, last year I fired it up and let it set idleing for a few minutes, I walked away for a minute and when I came back it was not running, I started pulling on it and after about the 5th pull the cord broke. Now I finally replaced the cord but I can't pull it.
If I grab the primary and try to turn it it will not budge. A friend told me the pistons might be frozen in the cylinder cause it was left for a while without plugs. How might I unfreeze them?
Any other ides, thanks for the input.

·
I gotta have more Cowbell
328 Posts
Remove the spark plugs, grab ahold of the clutch, and rotate that sucker around. If it does not move, you are in a little bit of trouble. Next, remove the recoil that you just fixed. Grab ahold of the clutch and rotate. If it does not turn, you are in big big trouble. Spray come WD-40 or marvel mystery oil in the spark plug holes so that oil can seep past the pistons and hopefully free them up. If you get them free, borrow or buy a compression tester, and perform a compression test (must put recoil back on and pull engine over with throttle held open). You are looking for 110 or better. If you are not at least 100, you may be in massive trouble and need a rebuild.

If the problem seems to stem from your recoil, fix it properly and good luck.

Watch out for overheating or under-oiling because you have to wonder why your sled shut down in the first place.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went out and gave the clutch a yank and it busted loose. After that it took about 35 pulls to get it to fire up. Now that it idles tho, I cannot run it above idel or it will bogg and die, thanks for your help on freeing it up, but what can I do about the problem of it not running above idle?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts