Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, went out to start the sled for the season and the battery is frozen. The bettery is going on its third year. If I thaw it and recharge it will it work and be reliable or should I get a new one?

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
negative, a frozen batter is not wrecked, considering battery acid freezes at -78 degrees f. (I think thats the number, it's somewhere around there).

However, a 3yr old battery that is on a snowmobile is certainly done for. mine don't usually last more than 1yr. so yes, just get a new one, they're decently cheap

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok sounds like i'm in for a new battery. It was maybe 80% frozen with some liquid still swishing around. It had about 7 volts in it. Since I,m not making it to the store today, i brought it in and I'll at least give charging a shot. The first two years I tended it all year, but I got lazy this year.

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
battery acid must be mostly neutralized by now. if it's starting to freeze up. doubt it's going to hold a charge very long. but its worth a shot i suppose

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
what are you talking about replacing every year? We used the standard Fleet Farm EL-Cheapo $45 batteries and on our '97 we just replaced the battery for the second time. Averaging 7 years per battery and we only charged it 2-3 times per year.

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
That was for electric start, though. These run the EFI system and everything else. It doesn't just pull juice for 10 seconds or so to run the starter. I replaced the battery every year in my RXL. The old batteries we use to run the lights in our little storage trailer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ok i worked for interstate battery ! if ur battery is fully charged and not hooked up to anything it wont freeze. if u put a tender on it once a month u could have a good battery for atleast 3 to 4 yrs if u dont over charge it ! and when a battery freezes it ruines the plates in side and shorts it out!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts