Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. Thought the ground wasnt good so I temp wired up to the motor, nothing. With the test light I see when the brake is applied and the parking lights. The lights work when I use a battery pack booster but not hardwired to the sled.

·
Polaris All The Way!!!
657 Posts
since they are led's and not incandesant they have to be wired with the right polarity as in postitive to positive or red to red. Regualar bulbs are good either way but led's are picky so maybe both time you had them accidentally switched around so they wouldn't light up try switching the wires when you try them next and let me know how that works for ya. Good luck!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From what I see on the sled. A brown wire(ground) yellow(running lights) and red(brake light). The instructions are pretty straight forward for the leds. Ground to ground, blue to running light, red to brake. I spliced into the existing wires.

·
Registered
608 Posts
All of the lamps as well as the hand warmers on an RXL are powered by the lighting coil which is located in the stator. The lighting coil output
voltage is regulated but not rectified by the voltage regulator mounted on the back of the console on the mag side of the sled. This power supply is A/C voltage.

The battery charge coil which is a separate coil in the stator produces A/C voltage which is regulated and rectified by a separate regulator mounted near the battery. The resulting D/C voltage is used to charge the battery and to power the EFI system. The sled has in effect two separate electrical systems.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Can't say I am familiiar with the LED setup yu are trying to install, so I can't really help you there. All I can tell you is athat you are definitely working with A/C.
The lighting coil is internally grounded at the stator so I think full phase rectification is out of the question for that circuit. If you need that for the LED's to operate you will be out of luck.

It is not reccomended to power anything from the EFI power supply Polaris warns of possible engine failures attributed to monkeying with that so that is a no go too.

·
Registered
608 Posts
LED's are just that .........light emitting diodes. A diode is like a one way valve it will allow current to pass in one direction only. If you are talking about an led light you plug into your home it is designed to allow the current to pass and emit light whenever the polarity is correct. In the case of canadian current that would be 60 times a second. You may have noticed those lights are sort of flickering and that is because of the frequency that the power is "alternating". (A/C remember, alternating current). In the case of the snowmobile the frequency changes with the RPM and the led's may not be designed to be visible at the frequency when the engine is idling.

My guess is the amount of time the current is actually flowing (forward bias) throught the diodes is insufficient for them to light up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.