Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just acquired a 2009 iq shift 550 with 1900 miles. I am brand new to sleds, but got one for ice fishing. I'm a big dude (320lbs) and I realize this is a smaller sled. It's not going to be trail ridden or anything, just across lakes.

Currently, the suspension seems sacked out, or just not good to begin with. I don't see a collar on the front track shock to adjust, and the torsion springs are maxed out and still it just drags ass.

So, I can't find a whole lot googling about what parts are compatible. I apologize if it's obvious, but I'm hoping you guys can point me in the right direction.

First off, do they make heavier torsion springs that will fit my sled? And are aftermarket coil springs for the front pretty universal? I'd assume I'd need some heavier duty springs up front.

·
Super Moderator
17,292 Posts
Polaris does sell three different sizes of the rear spring. It will be a dealer item, as there is not enough of a market for the after-market to weigh in on them.

The Shift was a no-frills version and did not have the best shocks. They were pretty much the cheapest you could get. You should be able to get a good quality Fox or Walker-Evans shock set that will fit, but they will be spendy.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank's!

I'll throw some heavier springs in for now, and hopefully find a deal on some used WE shocks to get rebuilt / valved. I obviously don't want to put too much money into a $2500 sled, but I also don't want to needlessly beat the crap out of it by overloading the suspension.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts