Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you need insurance on your sled if you're going to be riding trails? We don't have any on our sled but we've never had it on actual trails before. We have it all registered and in my dad's name and such, so we're perfectly fine there. If you do need it, how hard is it to get?

·
Polaris Fan
181 Posts
not sure about the Dakotas but I'm fairly sure that you will need insurance to be legit on the trails. If the snowmobile is registered to your dad it should be as simple as him calling his current insurance company and adding the sled to his policy. Some insurance companies don't insure snowmobiles so you may have to find one that does if yous dosen't.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
(I ride in both states)

In both, you need proof of liability coverage and a trail pass to ride ANY public land, not just official trails. (ditches included)

SD honors ND's registration, I don't know for certain if there is reciprocity for SD'ers coming north, I would assume so. (of course, why would anyone sledding in the black hills come north anyway?)

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Just get liability, not collision.. Its pretty cheap, and even if it isnt required, its smart to have it

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Insurance on my sleds in ND is $35/yr. each for liability. It's supposed to be insured in order to get a registration. ND does not honor SD registration.

·
Registered
588 Posts
(in Michigan) I can add it to my homeowners policy relatively cheap. After just having a tree fall on both of our sleds, it's worth it! Although through a mistake my agent made in the process, I'm having a battle getting the payout now. Just be sure when you add it to get a copy of the policy in your hands before walking out of the office. (our agent added to her computer but forgot to send that info on to the main company) one way or another they are going to be covered but it's taking a long time. I think it costs me just about $200 a year to have $5500 worth of collision and liability on two sleds. I would at least get the liability though, if nothing else.

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea we would only get liability. I checked on the GFP website and you do NOT need a sticker to ride trails, just current registration, but you DO need some form of insurance. Anybody know how it is in MN? I tried to look but didn't find anything on it. (even downloaded the snowmobile info from the MN DNR.)

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
Basic Liability is a good idea even if it is not required.
As soon as you leave your own property, your risk level goes way up.
For the small amount that liability costs, protecting yourself legally is kinda cheap.

I do not sell insurance, but would not go out with out it in this sue happy society today.

·
Chitown Rider
812 Posts
I got both my sleds fully covered for less than 100 bucks a year. It's worth it just because if someone else is riding your stuff and dies or gets hurt. You'll wish you had it. Also if you hit another sled or cause damage. Like RJ said. as soon as you leave your own property your risk level goes way up. So whether or not your state requires it .. I recommend you to get it.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I carry full coverage on both my sleds and my trailer. It is cheap, about $250.00 per year. it's all about CYA. How pissed would you be to come off of the trails to find your trailer gone?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts