Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Polaris xlt classic. 2002 polaris indy 500
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been doing a bunch of research into this and have found that's it's pretty difficult, if not impossible to do. I reached out to Bob with ashlocktech, who makes what's called a "tach adapt". After explaining my situation to him, he told me that it would be helpful if I had an oscilloscope to capture the wave form from the wires that connect to the tachometer(the yellow and brown wires behind the tach plug). I happened to have a usb oscilloscope so I did just that, however, the reason I had bought it was to help set the gain and settings on my car audio amp to prevent clipping. When I first started up the sled(02 Polaris indy 500, fuji 488) I had my probe set on x1 and it was showing me a square wave signal. I then switched it to x10 and the oscope showed a sine wave. I dont know too much about this stuff as stated, but I'm going to try and post the pictures of the sine and square wave forms. After sending him the pictures of the wave forms, he offered to send me a unit to "try before I buy" type of thing, which was surprising because it's a 70 dollar unit. But during the time he shipped it out and i received it, we've still been communicating via email. I was under the impression that because my model has the electric start option(but doesnt currently have electric start), that my regulator had a rectifier built in. However, I took my multimeter out to my sled, which is on an enclosed trailer, and tested some of the wiring to see what type of voltage was present. I put the meter on dc and it was just registering millivolts so when I flipped it to ac, I had around 10 volts at idle. I spoke with him and he said his unit needs 12v dc in order to operate properly(his device has a multiply and divide function, so we have it set up to multiply the incoming signal from the stator by 6 =12 and then divide by 2 = 6), so I ordered a bridge rectifier from wahlbrothers. I did some reading on here and theres conflicting information on how to hook up the rectifier. Some said to split the yellow wire into two and hook those into the 2 ac inputs on the rectifier. Others said that you need to hook the yellow and brown wire from the regulator to the rectifier. My regulator only has a yellow wire coming out of it, with a brown wire bolted onto the regulator which bolts into the chassis(which grounds the regulator). So one of my questions is, do I hook up the brown and yellow wire to the rectifier? I disconnected the wire harness from the belly of the sled and from the speedo and lights so I can work on this inside, sitting at a table and I was thinking about connecting the rectifier to the harness to the end of it that sits behind the speedo/tach. Would that be ok there, or should I try and hook it somewhere closer to the regulator that's on the left footwell? Oh, in addition to the rectifier, Bob told me to get a 470 uf/25v capacitor to put in after the rectifier to help smooth out the voltage. I think I'm on the right path here, but like I mentioned above, I'm not very good with wrapping my head around electrical stuff lol. So any thoughts or input would be much appreciated. I'm gonna try and add pictures of the waveforms, as well as the tach adapt, if itll let me/if I can figure it out.

It said unable to complete the task(of adding pictures) due to low memory? I'll try and add them in a reply. Thank you for reading

·
Super Moderator
116 Posts
I've heard of this problem but I've never seen anyone with a solution other than to tell people to get the right tach.

Steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I know. If it was that easy, that's the route I'd take. I've been searching for months for a white faced 2 pulse tach but they are pretty rare birds unfortunately

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I was unable to find a white faced, 2 pulse tach and the tach adapter didnt work out. So I ended up buying a brand new black faced 2 pulse tach of ebay for $35 and installed that, and am calling it good lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the update. It's really hit and miss when things start getting old enough to vote ;)
Lmao. Yeah, that's for sure. This winter will be the first time I've snowmobiles in about 20 years or more. Before that I had an 80s model Yamaha srv and then a Yamaha ss440 and they were both miserable things to keep running and riding lol. Neither of them had any suspension and the distance between the ground and the bottom of the tunnel was only a few inches it felt like. So when I finally talked my wife into buying these two sleds, I wanted to go through them with a fine toothed comb to make sure they werent going to have any problems. Her sled, the 98 xlt classic was all sorts of rusty and corroded everywhere . So I've been working on that all spring/summer, little by little. Thankfully, my 02 is in way better condition so I wont have to tear it down as much lol. At night I've been reading alot of the different forums that have been posted under Polaris and I usually start on the very last page and work myself towards the more current posts

·
Super Moderator
17,302 Posts
Good luck with it! There is a TON of good info out there, the XLT was a very popular platform back in the day.

You are definitely right on the old Yamaha suspensions. I had two Enticers, I think the suspension travel on those sleds was about 2". But boy, did they have a soft seat! :D

·
Super Moderator
116 Posts
Yeah, but only if you were skinny and didn't bottom it out too !

Steve who had a Enticer 250 for a few years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, but only if you were skinny and didn't bottom it out too !

Steve who had a Enticer 250 for a few years.
I actually end up getting both of the yamaha sleds I mentioned stuck almost every single time I took it out. That made it not so fun, really fast lol. Plus when I was that age(15 ) I was a tiny little dude, like 120 lbs so it was a chore getting it unstuck/turned around haha

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
but the good thing is that those sleds are so light you can pick them up and move them to better snow when you get stuck!
Lol. yeah but they didnt feel that light to me. Like I said, I was a tiny 13-15 year old at the time haha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts