Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to buy a new helmet, I'm tired of mine fogging and besides, blue helmet with a black and red sled? I've narrowed it down to a couple - GMAX 54S and 44S. I like the looks of the internal sun shade better but have heard they are more prone to fogging. I would be worried that the outside one will get snow caught between it and the shield.

I do wear sunglasses most of the time during the day, so I think I'd like that shade. I am getting the electric shield on whatever I get.

Anyone have these typrs of helemets? Any advise on others? I like modulars, but it doesn't for sure have to be. Trying to stay under the $200 range.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
i've got a hjc with the internal sunshade, and in 99% of the conditions I ride in, it will fog up almost instantly. The only time it works is when its above freezing...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought a GMAX 44s with a heated shield and external sun shade (EBay $148.95) and love it. I wasn't sure if I would like the sun shade on the outside but after using it a few times, I don't think I would trade it. I also like the looks of the internal sun shade but my buddy's helmet has an internal sun shade and he can't use it because it fogs up. For the money, this is one of the best helmets I've owned.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a GMax with the external shade and love it! I don't have a problem with fogging because I leave my shield "cracked" while I'm riding. The only problem I've had is with the bolt that holds the shields to the helmet worked its way out and I lost it. The shields stayed on, but the shade floped in the breeze. I took it off. I did have to wait quite a long time to get a replacement. Other than that, I love the helmet!

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
I have the Gmax with the internal sun shade. I like it, but learned that if I'm a bit hot, I'll have to open the outer shield for a minute to unfog the shade. It only takes 10 seconds while riding. If I'm not sweating, it's fine.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you guys have the heated whield and the internal lens? Will a heated shield keep the inside of the helmet any warmer/dryer so that the sun shade won't fog? I'm definatly getting the electric shield. Sounds like I may want to get the 44s with the shade outside. My buddy has one and he likes it too, although has never put his shade on it.

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
i had the external sun lens and took it off, at high speeds the wind would slap it down, and at night on the lakes well then you can't see anything, but never fogged.....

·
'93 Phazer and The Kid
1,149 Posts
i've got a hjc with the internal sunshade, and in 99% of the conditions I ride in, it will fog up almost instantly. The only time it works is when its above freezing...
I have an HJC IS-MAX modular non electric with an internal sunshield that retracts with a touch of a button. It doesn't fog at any temp.

OP, if you don't have a Gmax now, make sure you try it on. Each brand fits differently.

·
ride till your broke
2,560 Posts
i have a modular helmet with internal shade not electric.
fogs when going into buildings, or when
riding hard (sweating).
i just crack my visor when i see any fogging.
want to buy an elect shield next.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I have an HJC IS-MAX modular non electric with an internal sunshield that retracts with a touch of a button. It doesn't fog at any temp.

OP, if you don't have a Gmax now, make sure you try it on. Each brand fits differently.
wierd... I've got a hjc fs-10 with heated shield and internal sunshade, and as I mentioned above, i'm rarely able to use it for more than a couple minutes tops before its fogged up to the point of being useless.

FS10

To the poster above asking about the heated sheild. No that has no affect on the actual temperature of the helmet or the internal visor. It doesn't get THAT warm. In fact, you can't feel any heat off it, it is just enough to keep the visor from freezing, nothing more, nothing less.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ended up ordering a GMAX 44s with electric and external shade. I like the looks of the internal more, but doubt if I'll even use it that much. 75% of thetime I ride after work in the dark anyway.

p.s. I did go to the local shop and try them on! I have had a lot of different helmets, motorcycle and snowmobile and have flopped between L and XL depending on the brand. I ended up ordering off EBAY to save $. As much as I like supporting local business, I like saving $40 even more. I'll give that $40 to the gas stations instead!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts