Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the motor about the same on these two sleds(around 1995 or so). Which is faster and nicer?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Well i would have to say the XCR is faster, but its a toss up between which is nicer, XCR is more of a racier/wide open sled, XLT is more for trails.

·
Registered
16 Posts
depends on the yr; 94-98 were dif motors 598vs 580, and xcr came with bigger carbs 99and above motor was the same but xlt still had smaller carbs

·
Registered
102 Posts
The XCR will be a slight bit faster but uncomfortable on the trails. I swapped suspension on my XCR and that made it just as comfortable as the XLT.

·
"It's Only Money"
310 Posts
The XLT was originally known as the Extra Lite Triple(XLT). The XCR was more of the perfomance sled also with the triple and a little bigger carbs. The 97 - 98 600 XCR was Case Reed intake, 3-VM38AL carbs and a tuned triple pipe (600cc)and 550 lbs. The XLT Special was Piston Port intake with 3-VM38SS carbs with a tuned pipe exhaust (597cc) but only weighed 505 lbs. Over the years the XLT had the better suspension travel by almost 3". XCR was the quicker sled, but the XLT out sold it at least 3-1 and was the better value. OB

·
Registered
177 Posts
think the xcr stood for cross country racer. depending on the year the earlier xlt was a 580 i think, and yes they did have smaller carbs. as far as comfortable riding. i would say the xlt.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a 97' XLT Special. Friend of mine had a 00' xcr. We ran them several times. Both stock, studded tracks and full gas tanks. We drove each others sled too and even had a 3rd rider run both. Our conclusion was what ever sled the rider that weighed 40lbs less than the other two won by 1/2 to 2 lengths with a slight edge to the XCR. The XCR ate up a whole lot more fuel though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts