Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 indy 440 fan chassis. I have a good built 88 indy 400 liquid motor. I want to put the 400 in the 440 chassis.

I'm wondering if I need to use the wire harness from the 400 or can I use the one from the 440? or maybe modify the 440 harness to work?

Also the pipe exits farther forward in the 440. Can I use the pipe from the 440 on the 400 motor?

I'm trying to use stuff I have around the shop to get the sled going. So I dont really want to get another motor or any thing.

I know I have to swap the coolers over also. Is there any thing else I would have to swap? Like the secondary clutch etc?

Thanks

·
Registered
466 Posts
All I can say is, your in for some work! It can be done...but...yea..thats a summer project..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have been striping both sleds completely. I'm actually in the process of putting it back together. I'm still not sure about one thing. The wire harness from the 440. I want to use the 440 harness so I all the accessories on the 440 chassis work. I looked at the two harness tonight. They are basically the same except for where the ignition wires are in the main plug. But I think it may work any way.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
try it out and see. the tach won't be right. and the secondary will be ok also. oh and that 400 is going to be just as fast as that 440 was.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The wire harness works. I used the tach from the 400 though. The secondary was smaller so I swapped in the one from the 400 chassis. I took it out for the first ride last night. Other than a few adjustments and blowing one of the small coolant lines the thing RIPPED. With the newer suspension and studded track I was pulling the skis about a foot off the ground. It could only manage a couple inches before. The funny thing is I still need to tune it better and prob adjust the suspension some.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
yeah my sons 400 l/c is faster than my wifes 440 fan.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.