Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Working on cousins sled. Got it running good after cleaning carbs and new fuel line and screen in tank. Idles and starts perfect. But I have an intermittent bogging when going fast. I found that if Im running and it’s going find then starts to bog, if I stop and jiggle the coil and wires it runs great again for a bit. Took plugs out right after this, one looked great, brownish color. The other one the ceramic was nice and brown, but was visibly wet. I know for sure it’s not a fuel problem. Do these coils go out fairly easily or could it be a simple plug and wire replacement? Also, what are the correct ngk plug number?

·
Registered
887 Posts
BR8ES or BR8EIX for Iridium or BR9ES or BR9EIX. Idk what you have in there now but if it is BR9ES and they are coming out what the chart below says then stick with them I always ran BR8ES or the equivalent in a platinum or iridium or EV when they still made them. Also try this remove the spark plug caps themselves from the wires. Buy 3 new ones and cut 1/4" off the wire so the new caps have a new connection to screw into. What I linked is what you want to get at your local parts store.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BR8ES or BR8EIX for Iridium or BR9ES or BR9EIX. Idk what you have in there now but if it is BR9ES and they are coming out what the chart below says then stick with them I always ran BR8ES or the equivalent in a platinum or iridium or EV when they still made them. Also try this remove the spark plug caps themselves from the wires. Buy 3 new ones and cut 1/4" off the wire so the new caps have a new connection to screw into. What I linked is what you want to get at your local parts store.

View attachment 64943
it has the br8es plugs in it now. From the little research I did people said a bpr9es is stock plug. I guess the extended reach is supposed to make it run better? Both plugs look like the best or one of the better ones, but one plug is wet around the threads

·
Registered
887 Posts
Then stick with the BR8ES as long as is working. TBH there isn't much difference and the extended reach isn't a big deal. The length that goes into the cylinder head is the same 19mm or 3/4". If you want longer lasting plugs then pick up a BR8EIX that is a Iridium plug and I get 3-4 times the use out of them then the BR8ES plugs they call for stock on my Polaris sleds.

Also what year and model is this sled?

Look at the pictures of the two NGK Links. It shows the difference of the electrodes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do the spark plug wires come off the caps? Is it just screwed in like it is in the coil?

·
Registered
887 Posts
The caps just screw in, you pull back those rubber covers and they screw into the wire. Very simple and easy to do takes less then a minute or two.

As I said the year and model of the sled will tell us more and tell us which caps you need exactly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m wondering if I discovered the problem. The part that contacts the spark plug terminal is extremely black. Wondering if it’s having continuity issues

·
Registered
887 Posts
If it looks right when comparing it to yours then yeah go for it. That is a resistor spark plug cap which is what you want.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was testing the spark plug caps. Can’t get any continuity let alone any resistance. Wondering if both are bad...?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Always replace both when doing that. That way you know when it was done and that both are new. Also take a look at your local parts store for those tomorrow. Last set I bought that I needed right away that is where I got mine. I now keep 2 new sets in each of my sleds. I learned that lesson about 20-25 years ago. Same with plugs I keep at least 3 sets sometimes 4 in each sled. Along with fuel line, clamps, spare key hidden only where I know it is, a bunch of tools, tow rope, quart of oil, quart of antifreeze. Between 2 sleds that go out when we sled we have everything covered just something to think about.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I saw that advance has them on their site for only 3 bucks. Was gonna see if they have them on hand tomorrow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys. I’m wondering if this problem could be a fuel pump? If I’m running fast it’ll bog out. If I stop and wait, then go again it’ll go fast then bog a little later again. If I wait awhile again and just crack the throttle and run around it goes for quite a while eventually bogging out. The fuel line in the tank has been replaced. I replaced the fuel lines up to the filter. I will also check the impulse lines. Does anyone know what the think is up close to the front that the impulse line from the engine goes to this, then goes to the pump. I see it has a cable going to it also that hooks up to the throttle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts