Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new to this useful forum. Any help appreciated.

Ride a 1994 polaris indy 500 with less than 3000 miles, new to me but known history of owner. Recently serviced, good to do.

Riding today about an hour, running on lake at 40mph, engine gradually died over about 20 secs, wouldn't restart, towed home. Smelt a little?

Will turn over but not catch or start, backfired once. Gave up as doing dark and frigid. Plan to check if fuel flow and spark tomorrow.

Any ideas? thanks in advance. Yes, did have fuel, oil injector seems to be ok based on level of oil used.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Will do that. Just had new plugs and full service 4 weeks ago, though. Can these air cooled engines just overheat and suffer damage, though it was -15 all day and was running at about 6000 rpm at time.

DE

·
hurry up winter
129 Posts
I had a 488 fan and never overheated it even in warm weather. Another thing to check not overly likely tho happened to me once was the e-clip came off of the main needle and leaned out my pto side so I'd still say check comp first and go from there those fans where a tough engine

·
twins rule!
370 Posts
Sorry, but It sounds like a piston melt down to me, just pull the plugs if one is white or light gray put your finger in that hole+pull the rope if it dont pop out your finger take the head nuts off that cyl. lift off head+you will see the hole melted in the piston. if plugs are dark+wet you are in luck! install new ones+ride.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all. Just had a go at troubleshooting - until starter rope broke - I was frozen at that point anyway.

Good spark on both plugs, both plugs wet. Got it to run with start assist for 20 secs, then after would run intermittently for 20-30 secs but only when 1/2 choke on. Would not start without choke even when a little warm. Could not let choke in without stall even if feathering throttle.

Will take to a local small engine guy tomorrow to fix starter and diagnose. No heated garage to working on it tricky today due to temp.

Cheers, DE

·
08 600HO Switchback
53 Posts
I had an issue with mine (also a 94 indy trail deluxe) where after ridding powder at WOT for 3 hours it started running on one cylinder. Since there was snow everywhere under the cab I cleaned the carbs and fuel filter/lines with no success. Switches the plug wires showed me that the CDI box was messed. Brought it inside, dried all the water out of it sled has been good since.

Not sure if it relates to your issue just wanted to tell you my story.

·
Registered
673 Posts
had very similar simptoms with an xlt a week ago... did compression test and one cylinder came in at 20 psi. melted the piston... i would advise you to do a compression test and make sure nothing made it run lean

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, getting that feeling I might be in for a top end rebuild. The sled is at my local small engine shop, he thinks it may had a piston seizure while running lean in the very cold weather. Will update when he's had a chance to work through it. DE

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update. A cautionary tale......... PTO side piston holed, other dished and ready to go. So much for durable Polaris fans @3000miles. Rebuild pending checking whether the track is good enough to warrant the $, and suggestion of change of jetting so less chance of leaning out again...

No sled and a foot of fresh snow
DE

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just curious as to what you use for oil in your 500.

I have a 91' with over 12,000 miles and have always used Castrol 2T. I had to replace the crank a couple years ago due to an unbalanced clutch but when I tore it down it only needed new rings. I am planning a complete over haul in the future but too good a riding right now. haha

·
twins rule!
370 Posts
unless It was -10 or lower I would not blame the jetting, more likely the crank SEAL on the pto side is sucking air. they dry out after years of mostly sitting+getting low miles put on them. If you rebuild It, this 6.00 seal should be replaced as maintance+opening the bottom end up is the best way to clean ALL the piston melt out of the bearings+rods+see whuts up In there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.