Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mad Mike 860
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I just joined the forum. I have a few questions regarding my 97 Indy 500 that I just bought. I was hoping someone could help me out. Anyway, I bought this sled for $1000, has 2400 miles and is in good to great shape. It has the Xtra 10 suspension. I bought this sled sort of unexpectedly. I just sold my 2000 MXZ 700 and was going to take a break from sledding. But, I just can't do it. I love it to much. My MXZ would soak up whoops/moguls fairly well and I want my Indy to be able to do that too. I'm 6'2", about 200 lbs. What can I do to my Indy 500 to improve the front/rear suspension? But, do it fairly cheap. It doesn't need to be a sno cross sled, just ride better. I really like the sled and it seems to have a lot of life left. Is there anything on these sleds that I need to watch out for? I did all the basic maintenance to get it ready. Just wondering if there's anything else I should or look. Thanks

-Mike

·
Registered
328 Posts
ive noticedx that the stock rear shock is very stiff, and mine ended up blowing out later on, (my dad has xtra 10) on his too) so i know it wasnt just mine, but i was in a bit of a pinch when i went to replace the shock so i just bought the cheapest parts unlimeted one for 20$ an was suprised how well it actually did, soaks up the bumps good and can still handle jumps fine, then just cranked my torsion bars to the top (but i think i might have the size smaller), and if you want a lot of soft travle which will help you float bit better, id say set your scissors bump stops on the smallest setting, i also put the front shock on the front mounting hole but didnt notice much differnce, but farther then that its more of just tinkering around with it to get it to fit your needs. and if you notice that the rear sema to stiff of dampening and you cant get it to fit your needs by adjusting the dampening with the screw on the bottom, go and buy that parts unlimited shock for 20$ its worth it fer being so cheap

·
Mad Mike 860
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks. I had a feeling replacing the shock was going to be my best bet. I did look on craigslist, ebay, etc for fox shocks. I've found a few on there but I don't know what shock will fit my sled. I'm assuming I need a fox shock specifically for a Xtra 10 suspension. Is this true? Is this also true for the front suspension? Thanks

·
Registered
328 Posts
if your sled alrady has xtra 10, then youll be fine, you can swap out fo shoxks from other xtra 10 skids, but not any others, there are other gas shocks available from under 100$ i beilieve kimpex is one of them,

·
Mad Mike 860
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. I found a guy online who is parting out a complete XCR 600 that has the Xtra 10 w/ fox shocks. I was considering buying them and replacing the shocks on my sled, which are not fox shocks. Hopefully I can sell my old ones. Thanks for the help.

·
Mad Mike 860
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another question. How do I know if the rear shock/spring is bad? If I get on the sled, then get off I can pick up the back of the sled and it will stand up another 2 to 3 inches and will stay there.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just replaced my 2 rear springs and shock on an 97 rmk extra 10, I could push down all the way on the back with the old springs and it would just stay there, needless to say they were shot, ordered a "new" left and a right spring and new parts unlimited shock for a total of $91.00, From Dennis Kirk (good place)just got done installing now it springs back up no problem and settles down to about 3 inches when i put my weight on it (190 lbs),used a saw horse to hold up the back end and a floor jack to lift the track everything can be replaced easily on the sled without removing any major components, I have it set to max tension on the spring adjust plastic blocks, it should be a lot easier on the back now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts