Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Polaris Indy 650
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I bought an EPI clutch kit for my indy 500. came with the orange spring and I put new 50 gram weights in it.
The clutch engages at 5000 rpm. is this normal for the epi kit?
thanks

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
stock is about 4 grand

·
Super Moderator
18,335 Posts
Usually, clutch kits will increase the engagement RPM and engage a bit "harder" than the stock parts. For racing or for really hitting it out of a corner on a trail, this may be a desirable quality. For easy trail riding and riding in the powder, it's not at all desirable. It's all in what you want out of the sled :)

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
yeah mine takes off at 4800 but like dan said when it does it does hard. on hard pack i almost sent my sled right backwards on me. broke my snow flap and had to change my drawers. and like he said when i trail ride coming out a corner it grabs like now and sometimes a lil scary if your not used to it

·
Registered
1991 Polaris Indy 650
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.
I just got my sled back together from a full rebuild of engine, clutches and gearing.
the kit also came with a new helix and secondary spring, I also changed the gearing to 20 top 40 bottom. The short ride up the drive way and back last night makes it seem like its gonna pull real hard and fast off the line and out of the corners! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts