Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys this is what i got. I'm only running on one side. started the other day and will only get up to 4 grand and smokes like no other getting up to it.
this is what i have done. pulled and cleaned the carbs thinking that is all it was. and still no go. so while running i pulled 1 wire at a time and it died when i pulled one plug. so i put new plugs in and did the same. I have great compression 130 in both. oh and the one side that is dead i pulled first and it has a ton of spark TRUST ME it HURT lol. it has fuel going to it also plug is wet. it will idle but not to good.
when this first started i was riding it and it just lost power so thats when i pulled it in the garage and cleaned the carbs and the rest.
what else do i need to look at?

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
your slides not stuck up with the needle misaligned is it?

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no jk they are working as they should i was thinking it also and looked. and irondog do I just take it apart and look? am i going to need a gasket to put it back together if it is or isn't it? just want to have all the stuff before i do it. as in is it a one time use gasket?

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes it is. like i said i was riding it and it just bogged right down but never died on me. just wouldn't go past 4grand. so it wouldn't even engage my clutch.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
also would that make it flood the motor over night also then? cuz it filled the motor over night and had to pull the drain plugs. had me scared at first cuz it was like it was locked up till i seen gas coming out the exhaust. and thats when i was thinking it was the carbs and floats sticking.

·
I just fix 'em...
1,045 Posts
OK, remove the pulse line from the crankcase and hook up a vacuum source such as a Mitey-Vac pump to the line. If you can suck gas through the line from the fuel pump the diaphram is bad. You can buy a repair kit for the pump for around $10 with all the gaskets and check valves.
Jerry

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Didnt you say it died and one side had no spark? Check the coil
no i said i pulled the one side first.(clutch side and it shocked the heck out of me then when i pulled the other thats when it died. so the clutch side is dead. pulled the plug and it was soaked. i pulled the plug cleaned it out then it ran good for a bit then same thing again. that side is getting to much gas and soaking the plug. i think iron is right i went back out and could see gas in the vacuum line.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i talked to a guy that has been working on sleds for 20+ years and he told me a few thing to do and still no go. he doesn't think at all that it is my pump. cuz i don't have any gas in the line or anything. after going over there and seeing him clean a carb i seen i wassn't cleaning mine all the way so i came home and redid mine and still the same. so next i'm going to swap carb sides and see if it is a bad needle or something. to see if it is that cylinder or the carb. last i will look at the pump. but what i have seen is that it runs better with the airbox top off. any other things to look at?

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it is clean RJ i even pulled all the foam out and put just the box back on and it still ran like crap. For giggles i'm going to pull the pump today and take a look at it. also going to get a new com tester mine is a lil old but i think it still works ok. ok before anyone ask my air screws are 1 turn out and i even have my chokes all the way down at this point so it isn't choking it at all.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes everything looks good i put new lines on yesterday also. this thing has me stumped. i have the 3 things to make it run. well it does run but not right. won't go past 4 grand.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i still need to swap carbs sides and see if it changes with that. i will get to that later going to play outside with the kids soon..

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
got a new compression tester and they are both at 145 psi warm. thats what they was when i first had the motor built. so my other tester is bad i guess. but anyways i'm still back to being stumped. i will update later when i have more time to look at it. still need to pull drain plugs again to see if i have gas in the motor and then swap the carbs around.

·
Certified Mechanic
56 Posts
You may have a cracked fuel line; Id replace them all. Otherwise if that doesnt fix anything you might want to swap the coils around to see if the "dead" side is working as it should. You might have to get a new coil or there may be an electrical issue to the one side as well. Just giving another direction to look in case nothing else works.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
that side has plenty of spark trust me. it got me good when i pulled it off lol. and i replaced all the lines today also.. old ones where from last year only also.

·
Certified Mechanic
56 Posts
Fuel pumps are rarely a problem. Majority of problems can be broke down into three catagories; air, fuel, spark. You are already getting spark, you are aleady getting air, and it seems you are getting fuel; as long as both plugs get wet when pulled with the kill switch on. So maybe it is something really simple like maybe the plug wires are backwards? Its worth a shot, and if that doesnt work Im just as stumped as you.

As for fuel lines; it dosnt matter if they are only a year old, they can dry out and split at anytime. Wexessive summer heat can make fuel expand and fumes flow into the fuel line. The fumes can dry out the rubber and cause a split. Ive seen it happen and have actually had it happen to a couple of my own sleds. Chemicals and rubber do not mix, its only a matter of time.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts