Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the "new to me" Indy 500 out on the trail yesterday. It was bottoming out on about every bump at 35-40 mph. Not bad, but it was hitting pretty much all the time. My guess is that the previous rider probably weighed under 200 where I weigh 245.

There are actually directions on the underside of the hood to adjust it for various weights of riders, but it looks like greek to me. Does anyone have a better explanation of what I need to do?

It is a xtra 10 suspension btw...

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Tighten the torsion spring adjuster blocks. Found on the short (rear) side of the spring. Same size socket as spark plug. You want them on their stiffest setting for your weight. My Indy still bottoms out. People talk good about the xtra 10 but I'm not convinced ...

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
get a new shock also. i'm 280 and when i ride my wifes with the xtra 10 i never have a problem with it bottoming out on my fat azz. so i'd say your shock is bad. get a gas one also.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
The springs are what prevent bottoming out. Shock will slow rate of travel which will help over stutter bumps but it doesn't control travel or bottoming out. It may be time for new springs.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys!

I had it out today, stayed off the trails and kept in the ditches full of fresh snow. (we got about 6 inches over the weekend) I did not have any trouble with the bottoming out. Prior to going out I did as you folks directed and checked the spring setting...it was on max. I also searched for the screw to adjust the shock to be a bit stiffer but could not locate it. I am wondering if they replaced the stock shock with something different.

Looks to me like I am right on the line between regular springs and heavy springs. So I think I have 4 choices or some combination of them:

1. Lose about 40 lbs...which I need to do regardless of snowmobiling :)
2. Go with HD springs
3. Go with new standard springs
4. Get an adjustable shock back on it.

Everyone else in the family weighs much less than I do, so I am hesitant to really stiffen things up.

I think having the adjustable shock might be the answer. Does anyone have any recommendations on WHICH shock I should be looking for? I assume I can just order up new springs from dealer...?

Thank guys, really enjoying the new sport!

·
Registered
152 Posts
it might just need new springs

i would check that first i have two sleda with xtra 10 one with new springs and other ones it bottoms out with and needs new springs

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
if the shock is toast it will make you bottom out. trust me i know. but yes get new springs also.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok...so I bought a manual for the sled online this afternoon.

It says the front end should sag 1.5 inches when I sit down on the sled. Mine does not budge. I got to looking at the pre loads and they are cranked up 2/3s of the way to max. I am thinking those are set way too high. Am I right? Seems like if I sit down on the sled the whole thing should sag a bit...not just the rear end. Speaking of that, the rear end sags about 3 inches when I sit down. Manual says it should be 1.5 inches. This would indicate I need new or heavier springs right?

What does a set of springs cost? Where should I buy them? Are they hard to install?

Thanks for the continued help. This is an amazing forum.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
not to bad to put in. your book should show you how. you'll need to drop the 2 rear bolts on the rear end is all.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ordered them up from the dealer this morning. He says you have to drop the suspension to get them put in, so I am going to let him do that.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
you only have to drop the back of it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
There is a preload adjustment on the rear spring, rotate the collar of the spring to change the preload. Adjust the spring and see if you can get that rear end sag to the specified 1.5 when you sit on it. Depending on which shocks you have they may be rebuildable also.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
current springs are already at max pre load...that's why I went ahead and ordered the next thickness. I think that should take care of it. At the end of the season I will see about rebuilding the shocks...if they are rebuildable. It seems to ride pretty darn decent so I am hopefull the thicker springs will keep the sag out and provide a bit more travel.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
you won't get any more travel. a xtra 10 is a xtra 10.

·
Registered
427 Posts
There are actually directions on the underside of the hood to adjust it for various weights of riders, but it looks like greek to me. Does anyone have a better explanation of what I need to do?

It is a xtra 10 suspension btw...

Thanks in advance!
Look at those directions under the hood again. Keep looking at them. Think about them. Dream about them. The scissors stops are what make the old Poo suspensions so good. Couple front to rear, rear to front, a little of this, a lot of that, a lot of this a little of that, a little of both or a lot of both. None at all. Positively brilliant little idea.

Ski-Doos sc10 II and sc10 III are just less adjustable copies. Patent infringement. That's why Polaris got perc reverse from Bombardier. A payoff so Poo wouldn't sue Doo.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok guys, I put in new 421 springs and it seems to have helped a great deal. I wish I had gone with the HD springs, but that would have made it too stiff for the wife...so I will have to continue losing weight I guess.

I have not been able to get back on a trail to test it out, but it does seem stiffer. I believe the old ones were the same size, so hopefully putting in new ones does the trick.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts