Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1990 polaris indy 500 and love it! the sled sat for about a year and a half before i got. So i took the carbs off and cleaned them out (found a rats nest in the airbox). Now the sleds runs pretty good especially when cold but as it gets warmer it starts to get boggy not to the point where it is not rideable but still its boggy. Sometimes it will hesitate and then pick up and take off, but when going through a field i can hold it pegged and it will start to bog especially when hitting any sort of hill or fresh powder. I think all of this is because it is running a bit rich but i was wondering which way i need to turn the adjustment on the side of the carbs? in or ou?

·
Super Moderator
17,919 Posts
The pilot jet/air screw circuit only affects the air/fuel mix from idle to about 1/4 throttle. Turning the air screw out will lean the idle air/fuel mix, turning in will richen the mix. Usually, off-idle bog is helped by a slightly richer mix, but turning the screws is easy; try it both ways to see if either helps. Wide open bog could be a rich mix caused by too big of a main jet, which will require removing the carbs again and installing the next size smaller main jet. After your next wide open run, check the spark plugs. If they are black or dark brown, it's safe to jet a size smaller. If they are white or grey, you are too lean. A cardboard color would be perfect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pilot jet/air screw circuit only affects the air/fuel mix from idle to about 1/4 throttle. Turning the air screw out will lean the idle air/fuel mix, turning in will richen the mix. Usually, off-idle bog is helped by a slightly richer mix, but turning the screws is easy; try it both ways to see if either helps. Wide open bog could be a rich mix caused by too big of a main jet, which will require removing the carbs again and installing the next size smaller main jet. After your next wide open run, check the spark plugs. If they are black or dark brown, it's safe to jet a size smaller. If they are white or grey, you are too lean. A cardboard color would be perfect.
there is actually two screws on the side one is a bigger one that can be moved by hand, im assuming that is the idle screw and then there is a much smaller one that has a slot on the end for a flat screwdriver.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The small screw you need a screw driver to adjust is the pilot/air screw.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts