Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a 1991 Indy sport 440 fan and wanted to know if there is anything you can do to make the sled sit higher. I do mostly ditch banging and wanted to know if there is anything you can do to make the sled sit higher. I know there are many people saying Xtra 10 or Xtra 12 swap it but I wanted to fab something or a cheeper option.

·
Super Moderator
17,191 Posts
The reason people suggest an xtra-10 swap is because the generation suspension you have has about 4" of useable travel and an xtra-10 has 10". You can't fab that or add anything after-market to even come close. And because the xtra-10 swap has been done many times, there's a lot of help out there to get it into your sled. Not many people have any experience with modding the old stuff, so you will be more on your own..

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
You can pick up an Xtra-10 Suspension sometimes with Fox Shocks that need rebuilding for around 100 bucks off season. Especially at swap meets in the fall like Hays Days. Those Xtra-10 suspensions are a dime a dozen these days. You do NOT want the Xtra-12 as a swap. Not many people did it for a reason, one being the Xtra-12 is a very tipsy suspension unlike the Xtra-10. Not too mention your rear rear shock is the same as it is on the Xtra-10 along with many of the bogie wheels as well.

·
Super Moderator
17,191 Posts
The xtra-10 is a rising rate suspension, as it compresses it gets stiffer. That is great for ditchbanging and hitting the moguls. The xtra-12 is a falling rate suspension, as it compresses, it gets softer. That is great if you do all trail riding and want a plush, comfortable ride. It's not a good suspension for hard use at all for that reason.

Like Coolhand said, find an xtra-10. That switch has been done a TON and there is a lot of support to help you along.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts