Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i cleaned my carbs on my indy 400 and i messed with the idle screw whats a good way to set the idle screw?

·
Registered
188 Posts
There is an idle screw for each carb - you can turn it with your hand and it has a knurled knob. Set the idle when it is warmed up. It should idle around 1800.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i went out side and tried to get it to idle around there and i could get it to idle around 1400 1500 and cant get it up any more it will want to die and i cleaned the carbs it was an ease i did just as the how to said and i have screwed the screws with a spring in all the way backed them out 4 turns no luck so i went another turn in got better went a half turn even better but i cant find that sweet spot to get around 1800 itll bog but when i get going itl fly

·
Registered
41 Posts
make sure your idle mixture is correct if you didn't back them out the right amount it might be leaning out of getting too much gas causing it to idle funny. and also make sure the idle speed screws are the same exact turns out so that the carbs are in sync

·
Registered
188 Posts
How far are they turned in now? Just keep turning them until it revs at where you want (generally 1800). If you look inside the carbs with the airbox off, they idle screws go into the side of the carb. They should be into the carb about same distance on each carb.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea i put them and found about 2 turns out is good broke the recoil in the process of rebuilding it and then ill be back outside

·
Registered
673 Posts
yea i put them and found about 2 turns out is good broke the recoil in the process of rebuilding it and then ill be back outside
in all the mikuni carbs i've messed with the idle mixture is usually set about 1 turn out... the idle screws dont really matter how many turns out they are as long as they are even and you are satisfied with it... if it runs like a champ at 1500 then thats fine, no need to bump it up unless it is almost dieing

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it was almost dying i turned them a lil more and it idles purrtty at 2000 and i tore the yard up wait till the girl gets home yard destroyed and then the pull cord is missing off the lawnmower yea someone is in trouble lol

·
Registered
455 Posts
:laugh: yard torn up and rope missing from lawnmower. Then when asked what happened DENY DENY DENY!! lol:dunno:

it was almost dying i turned them a lil more and it idles purrtty at 2000 and i tore the yard up wait till the girl gets home yard destroyed and then the pull cord is missing off the lawnmower yea someone is in trouble lol

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hahaha she hasnt seen the back yard yet hopefully this snow covers it up lol then in the summer il plead the 5th

·
Hank Scorpio
112 Posts
hahaha she hasnt seen the back yard yet hopefully this snow covers it up lol then in the summer il plead the 5th
What year 400? I have one too! Got pics? Here's mine...

·
Hank Scorpio
112 Posts
1985 400 im trying to get the drop brackets on now i got it all runnign but im going to get a bigger motor for it ur sled is great man the paint is nice did you put ne drop brackets on urs

Thanks man! No drop brackets....yet. I did get rid of the 50 pound waterlogged seat and made my own+the skid has new shocks. I might fab up some drop brackets. The guy I got my skid from said if I can find some intake manifolds+carbs for a 500 (38mm vs 32mm) it'll add 10 hp. I'm pretty impressed with it considering it lifted the skis in my yard.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i was surprised i got to take it out before the ice storm hit us and the thing rippd my 600 was alot heavier and wouldnt take off as nice as this does but i got the brackets all lined up and on now its time to find a extra 10

1 - 14 of 14 Posts