Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... This will be my second year riding and I am trying to decipher the Illinois laws on snowmobiling using my Illinois Compiled Statutes book and the DNR information.

I am still kinda confused about the rules regarding "hitting ditches" or riding along side the road. What are the laws? I was confused by the DNR's 5" off the road rule and the crossing of the street rules. Is there a general rule across the state as well?

Basically is what I am doing, riding along side of the road in ditches in McHenry County, legal?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Yeah dude i am right by you. We have no option but to cross streets around here. Every town has its own Ordinance.

I would not be riding your sled in crystal lake.. LOL. Cl cops will be ticketing you for sure. If you live over by sands road you should be fine but CL cops are bored and having nothing better to do.

You need insurance that is new this year def have that. Otherwise its all good. I cross 120 4 lanes on my sled from river road to go north. The only way to get into jonsburg from me is to drive ON 31 down the middle of the road. The only way to cross the river there. sucks but that's what we can do.

Were kind of forced to be ditch bangers. I get pulled over all the time by the DNR. Never been messed with riding ditches. But pick your towns wisely i wouldn't do that by you. Maybe mchenry, wonderlake and north of the chain its fine. Where are you trying to ride to out here? what road do you live off of?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm actually not in city limits, closer to Bull Valley so I would only be worried about them or McHenry County Sheriffs. Should I be worried about a ticket with them? What are the actual rules surrounding "hittin ditches" in our area?

Does the DNR just pull you over a check stuff or do they actually ticket you?

I take walkup north (im by PRHS) or Pingree to the ComEd lines there.

·
Registered
867 Posts
No any County sheriff wont care unless you are going to finn mcools or best buy with it.. LOL

No i have never gotten a ticket. they just check your registration sticker and ask you your address or some questions.. Never had any issues with DNR around here they are pretty fair.

Its always kind of a risk when you aren't on actual TRAILS but around here there aren't enough trails so we have to do what is necessary to get to and from...

No where you are is fine. Bull valley area is less populated. Like i said i ride river road which is not too far from you all the way into jonsburg. so your fine.

If you get to the power lines they should go East all the way over 31 and Through Prarie Grove and to my house basically. I live on the river past snap on across from Kieffs reef .. You can get ll the way up to the chain from the river. I would just follow the power lines ull be good.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you ever ride on the fox though? I feel like its always open.

Yea I guess I am not sure what the actual law is. What would they give you are hard time about? is it legal or not to hit ditches?

Yea the power lines are pretty easy for me to get to. What is out east besides the fox?

Is there anywhere up in Johnsburg that is good?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Yeah i do ride the river. Its hairy... 2 years ago it was soo frozen that you could stop and park it right in the middle. Last year not so much. I didn't even start freezing until Feb. It wouldnt be something you would want to be doing alone at night. During the day is fine if you know where you are going. Just avoid Dark areas! those are water.

Yeah past jonsburgh you hit all the legit trails that go into richmond, wilmot, and you can go west to harvard too tword the jane Adams trail.

Much less streets once you get up by richmond. Also if you know where Glacier park is on 31 past Dicks... you can park your trailers there and just take off to wisconsin so you don't have to mess around with riding up there. we do that when there is less snow. Lots of good trails once you find them.

Yeah i rode the actual river north from Mchenry all the way to the sly fox last year. (union grove area). Not for beginners though just the hardcore guys..there is big open water areas Route 12 bridge.. stuff like that as long as you know its coming but gets your heart racing for sure

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ill have to look up those trails and see if I can make my way up towards Johnsburg, Richmond, and Harvard either on trailer or ditches. You ever take the Prairie Trail (bike trail) all the way up there?

I like a lot of shorter after work rides, but its not that easy to get anywhere by me so I am trying to problem solve.

Im not to keen on the puddle jumping. Not sure I want to venture out onto the water too much.

·
Grudman
683 Posts
I on the other end of things now. I used to cross Randell road and ride south to McDonald road. There so many business that have been built but there still 10 foot ease on the road.Can we still ride on this?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Yup im not 100% but most major cities allow you to drive on the easement.

Yeah puddle-jumping sounds scary but believe me im a die hard ice fisherman too and i am ALL OVER the ice conditions. and i mean out drilling holes with my auger in several locations on foot..

we watch it daily and yes not the "safest" but if you stay off the river at night that helps. you can avoid stuff in broad daylight

Ive driven it at night and its interesting to say the least. WE Never go out with less than 3 people. No one goes home alone riding. we all live in the same little area so we make sure we all get home safe. Otherwise how can i ride the next day :cheeky4:

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
riding the river can get way hairy to say the least weve gone all the way up to burlington a couple of times and that is probably the craziest ive ridden around here definately cant be afraid of skipping lots and lots of open water and current. and by the way ive gotten a few tickets for being within 10 ft of roadways only ever had to pay one the judge will pretty much always dismiss em.

·
Registered
537 Posts
So I hqve a ? I just lost my license but will have the aled tagged and fully insured would I be safe to ride ditches/ trails

Sent from my SCH-I500 using SnowMobile App

·
Registered
867 Posts
Roof heres the thing. I know your suppost to have a liscence but.. every time i have been stopped by dnr.. Never once did they ask for my id.

Its the same thing every time. The flag you down for no reason(its just random they arent profiling anyone. they sit in one spot)

You pull over they ask for the Card they they just look at the card and hand it back to me. One time dude asked my address to verify.. that was it.

I dont know if they would actually ask for ID unless you were getting a tickets.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
depends on where you are but most the time they don't mess with you at all. We've got a guy that rides with us that hasnt had a license in years. We were told last year he could ride but someone else had to ride his sled across every road we crossed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts