Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I recently purchased a 1975 Arctic Cat panther 5000 for $100 and its missing the ignition switch, I checked ebay and couldn't find a single panther ignition switch but I found a few for different models. What other model arctic cat has the same ignition switch? and also, where could I find a wiring diagram?

·
Registered
55 Posts
You can use just about any switch of any sled and they will work there almost all the same Only difference some may have electric start option some not .

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
catlover said:
You can use just about any switch of any sled and they will work there almost all the same Only difference some may have electric start option some not .
Ooh, I'd be careful there. I had a electrical problem with my 2000 440 Panther. I knew it was either the solenoid, start switch, or wiring. Thought I could steal the start switch out of my 2000 ZL500 to test it... but no-go! The connector is completely different. Both are Cats, both are 2000's, both are electric start. The switches are d-i-f-f-e-r-e-n-t!!!

I would suggest visiting http://www.brownsleisureworld.com/Parts/SNOWMOBILE/ and looking up your sled. Find the part number for your switch. Then - type the part number into the search window at the upper right of the page. It's not really labeled, but it is a grey box. Put the number in there, and hit 'enter'. That will pull up a "details" page - now look for "Where used on any model" and click that link. That will list all the models and years which use your same switch. You can do the search backwards if you find a switch on eBay for a different model, and you want to know if it will fit yours.

Bottom line: Learn to use Brown's! It's one of the first sites I found after I bought my two Cats, while searching for parts drawings. It's really a very nice resource!!! Keep in mind, the prices on this site are Canadian. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ok Thats good to know !But I dont expect you would have that problem on the old sleds .I have changed quite a few before with no problem.But in new sled I guess from what you say its a different story.I was out with friends one time two cats and two polaris and we got on the "how many different keys "sled copmpanies make and tried my key in the other sleds and to my surprise it started one of the other cats and even one of the polaris"Imagine that !!

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
catlover said:
... I was out with friends one time two cats and two polaris and we got on the "how many different keys "sled copmpanies make and tried my key in the other sleds and to my surprise it started one of the other cats and even one of the polaris"Imagine that !!
Ha! Doesn't surprise me (too much). My keys are marked with such complicated key-codes as "A" and "1B". They probably only make a dozen or so different keys for all their machines.

The Polaris part of your story is particularly interesting to me. I've noticed many design similarities between Cats and Polaris, as well as the fact their factories are relatively close in location. I've always wondered if they were sister-companies or something... (like Zildjian and Sabian).

Anyway, your key test makes a good case for carrying an alternate locking device on your sled. I have a cable lock I use. I've seen special track locks too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts