Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so cleaned the carbs in both of the sleds I just picked (96 600 XCR's) up over the past couple of days. They run like dreams, start in a few pulls, etc...see here:

http://www.snowmobileforum.com/polaris-snowmobiles/55756-new-guy-carb-boot-questions.html

Anyways, upon putting them back together I set the pilot screws to 1.5 turns out and the big knurled screws with phillips heads in them to 4 turns out.
Like I said, they start great and run great, the only problem is both sleds are idling around 3500 - 4000 rpm.
I thought this seemed quite high, so read some more and found it to be the case.
My question is, how would I go about getting them to idle back down where they should?
Should I turn the pilot screw in a bit, or should I start with the knurled screw on the sides of the carbs by the pilot screw?

Thanks for any help!
Jon

·
Registered
209 Posts
from what i get the knurled on also has a small spring on it try and turn it back two turns so its only 2 turns instead of 4 as that is the idle screw if i am correct should drop the rpm alot

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Keep in mind it's important to keep those carbs in sync. When I adjust the idle I pull air box lid and use a small mirror to ensure slides still lift together. Rule of thumb, "big knurled knob" turned in rev up, turned out idle down.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Keep in mind it's important to keep those carbs in sync. When I adjust the idle I pull air box lid and use a small mirror to ensure slides still lift together. Rule of thumb, "big knurled knob" turned in rev up, turned out idle down.
when you adjust the idle screws this will not put the carbs out of sync when the throttle is pushed, this will only affect where the slides sit at idle. when you actually syn the carbs this adjustment is made at the top of the carb on the cap:thumbsup:

·
Registered
181 Posts
are those round slide carbs? if so i would also screw in those pilot screws a half turn they shoud be at about 1 turn out as a base setting that will richen the mix a bit at idle if they are round slides which will also drop the idle speed a bit. cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey man,

I had the same problem with my xlt ltd. I think you found some bad information like I did. I read somewhere on this forum that the pilot jet should be 1 turn out. (now just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, the pilot jet is one of the 2 jets inside your carb, the small skinny one with multiple holes and cannot be adjusted with the carb together) This info was not correct, the pilot jet should be screwed all the way in. The mixture screw (little brass flat head screw, on the outside of the carb) should be screwed all the way in, then backed out 1 turn for my seld (you will have to check your owners manual for your settings)

The throttle stop or idle screw (the philips head with the spring) I didn't use a turn setting, I used a 7/32 drill bit, and dropped one of the carb slides in and adjusted the screw until the bit was just able to fit. (from the air intake side)

This got my sled running just right. I'm sure you will need to tweak it, but try it and let us know. It sure made a world of difference on my sled. My sled ran fine with the pilot jet screwed out 1 turn, but it idled at 3k like you said. Also when I took everything apart again, the pilot jet in one of the carbs had vibrated it self 5 turns out.

As far as I know, and others can correct me if i'm wrong but the pilot screw should be all the way in.

Good luck

-Tom

·
Registered
181 Posts
some people call the air mixture screw the pilot screw. and yes the pilot jet inside the carb is not adjustable and should always be tight or snug you don't want to go to tight they are a pain when they get stuck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.