Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a brief 20 year period of not having a sled, I broke down last week and picked up a used 96 Formula Z 583.
Have only put about 5 miles on it, but it's sure nice to be back in the saddle.:D

The sled seems to be in decent shape mechanically with the exception of two idler wheels on the suspension. I have attached a pic with an arrow identifying which ones I mean. Each wheel on both sides are pretty beat up and missing rubber. The wheels directly in front of them look fine.(?) In fact, all of the other idlers look fine.

Question is: I have removed the one on the right side to take in to the dealer to order a couple new ones, and was wondering if it would hurt it to ride it without this idler wheel on it.
I'm assuming it shouldn't hurt the slides/track as long as I'm in decent snow.(?)

Thanks,

Carl

P.S. This thing FLIES compared to my old '74 Arctic Cat 295 Eltigre.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Jeez, any decent dealer should have them babies in stock! I would not ride without them in, they are critical to keeping the track from folding over the sliders. If you do ride it, just don't turn!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
folding over the sliders??? it won't do any harm riding without those wheels, the sc-10 sport suspension lacks those wheels.
if it is cost that is keeping you from replacing them get a couple aftermarket plastic ones there around $20 bucks with bearings.
i myself would replace them but your not goin' to hurt anything by leaving them off, your hifax might wear a little faster but that's about it.

good luck!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I havent been running them and i dont have any problems. Went through 2 sets and refused to buy more and havent affected the track at all. Theoretically they produce some lag on the ice but in rough trail riding i would use them. I've only seen them on new sleds, around here there the first things off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts