Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took first rip on new sled. All seems to be running good after new track swap and rebuild of rear shocks. However now the real problem is with the idle. After running it and stopping, it will not idle. Slowly loses RPMs to the point where it just dies. Apparently the gas is about 2 yrs. old. I drained it and put in some fresh gas w/ sea foam. This seems to have helped but the problem still exists. Tinkered w/ the idle screws too with not much improvement. Not sure why. Seems to me that it did not have a problem when i was buying it. The guy started it, and it seemed to idle w/o a problem. the sled has a clutch which i think should not matter.....
Any ideas????Thanks in advance.....
stig

·
Registered
20 Posts
Adjust the Tam Screw

I am not an expert on this but I will give this a shot. My half brother Willy had the same problem. All he did was adjust the "tam" screw. It is located under the belly pan near the muff pot. Try this. If not, my other half brother Jeb just ran kerosene in the tank and that seemed to work.

Good luck and let us know what works.

TAM TAM

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
is the sled EFI or Carb?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
whens the last time the carbs were cleaned and rejetted?

·
Registered
9 Posts
oooh, could be serious Stig. My guess is that you ned a total carb re-build....start by cleaning the carbs and needles and see how that works for ya......if not, take it to a dealer and have'em fix it for ya if your not a "WRENCH" head. I know of a guy who can probably help ya....where are you located?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yep, I'm sure it's the carbs. Disassemble them clean them very good with carb spray, reassemble and tune them. manual should have tune settings. Idle air setting is sometimes marked on or under hood.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Get yourself some HYDROSEAL at a parts place like napa.
take'em completly apart and soak everthing EXCEPT rubber peices, in a steel container. let'em sit for the night.
when you take the parts out blow them out with air.
the carbs will look better then new and will be completly clean.
Best stuff ever used.
a couple of things to check
needle and seat, make sure theres no worn ring on the needle tapper.
float level
a good start on the air screws is 1 an half turns OUT from being seated.
If you have a shop manual all this should be in there.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
is it necessary to remove the jets when soaking? or can i leave then in place, and remove gaskets floats and other rubber tubing like the hoses?
I do not have a screw driver to remove the pilot jet. What exactly does it mean to rejet? Buy new jets?
And is it necessary to do anything with the mixing body top with needle jet or choke acble housing. I simply removed them and did not dismantle those. There appears to be a little "scuffing" on piston valves. Is that a big deal? Seemed to run at higher speeds with out a problem....
I would like to clean them but there are like a zillion little pieces that i would like to forego from taking apart. When you say totally dismantle them how far????
thanks

·
Registered
482 Posts
Do you have a service manual for that sled?
If not, get the CLYMERS manual. they'll have a diagrahm off the breakdown of your carb in there that you can use for a referance
besides you'll need it for more then just this.

No you dont NEED to take the main jet out, but if you can do it.
just make sure you can blow everything out with air.

rejet just means to get a bigger size jet and replace with the one you have, you look at the bottom of the jet closly and you'll see the #. the only time you really do this is if you get an aftermarket exughst or do some other mods.

dont worry about the throttle body or needle jet , just clean that with some spray cleaner like GUMOUT. dont bother taking that apart.
the choke housing just unscrew it from the body and pull it out.

some scuffs on the throttle body is normal, just make sure theres no gouges or grooves.

Go here and punch in your sled and go to the carb section, it'll give you a diagram.

http://www.alpha-sports.com/arctic_cat_parts.htm

what you want is to get the body broke down as much as possible.

soak overnight and then blow all the ports and channels of the carb out.
then reassemble.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts