Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wen i pulled my first carb off I messed with my choke adjustment, the wire that attaches to the top of the carb and has the long screw on it.. AFter I did all this, my sled would only idle at like 500rpms and kept wanting to die, I turned my idle screws, and after 4 good turns, it only bumped it up to like 1k. It will idle without having to play with the throttle now, but its kinda rough and still seems to low.. So im thinkin I messed my choke cables up. Right now my choke screws that go on the top of the carb arent screwed in very far. SHould I tighten the screws down more so less is exposed? will this raise my idle?

·
Registered
95 Posts
if you take the carbs back off and look at the inlet side of the card you will see a small hole on the right side of the carb inlet it about an 1/8" hole, take a flash light and look down that hole and you will see your choke barrel, now set you choke lever at half choke and look down that hole, the barrel should be half way up the center of the hole, if not adjust the cable so it allows the barell to sit in the middle, after doin that open the choke lever all the way open and look down the hole, and the barrel should be at the top of the, and then close it and the barrel should go all the way to the bottom of the hole it might take a couple times to get it figured out but its pretty straight forward,, and as far as you idle turn the screws all the way in and then back each one out 3.5 turns that should get you close to where you need to be!!!hope this helps

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, ill look at that tmw! thx!.. So ur sayin turn those idle screws so it will turn my idle down, then turn em back 3.5 turns? Will do!

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh no wait... Ur saying turn them to the right as tight as theyll go, which would make my idle really high, then turn them to the left 3.5 turns?

Also, will having my chokes out of whack effect my idle? Whats the consequence if there off? Would it be better for it to be a little to high or a little to low? Sorry for all the questions, just curious

·
Registered
95 Posts
well if the chokes are out of adjustment meaning if there open it will cause a low idle condition because its loading the engine up!! but if your sure there closed all the way it shouldnt affect the idle! and yes turn idle screws all the way in and then back them out about 3.5 turns as far as your air/fuel jet i would turn that in all the way and back it out 1 1/4 turns - 1 1/2 turns i just built my buddys 02 z 440 and i have that thing dialed in pretty good

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the only thing that would happen if my chokes were out of whack is it will idle low? Which its doing now, so i assume my chokes are out of whack, ill try to adjust them... As far as the air/fuel jet, wheres that at? My idle screw is on the right side of the carb correct? I assume thats my idle screw, not the air/fuel jet..

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got everything pretty close to how its supposed to be! One more question, wheres the pilot screw? Im assuming the screw on the right side of the carbs is the idle screw right? Cuz those are the screws I assume are my idle screws and I have them 3 turns out, idles at 2k

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
Start by syc both carbs! Have someone hold throtle wide open, adjust the cable on the top till both slides are flush ith the top! Then use an 1/8" drill bit and slide it under the slide and adjust the large screw on the side of the carb till there is just a little drag, do the other! Now you can just count the turns on those screws to keep then the same! As for the chokes just get a little free play in the cable with them closed!

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got to ride my sled today! Got some snow so i rode it around the sub.. Runs GREAT!!!! It really pullls hard! I love it! When I first start it, idle is at like 3k then drops and stays steady at 1.5k.. So, I neeed to do a little more tweaking, but it runs really good, and both plugs are a nice brown color! My only concern is it doesnt sound good at idle.. I was thinkin maybe cuz its a fan it just sounds different? Overal im very happy with it! It gets to 50 really quick!

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Id really like to get it all dialed in without having to pull off my carbs again.. I'll just keep messing around with it I guess.... When the engines cold and I start it with full choke, idle is pretty high at like 3ish k, then when i turn choke to half it goes down, then with choke all the way off, its at about 1500.. But when I start the sled with choke turned off, its at 3k, then goes down..

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rode it some more today.. My tank was empty and my friend gave me some fuel, then told me it was 93 premium, is that fine to run in my sled? Still runnin good, Just gunna turn my idle up some cuz wen it sits at idle, and u go to rev it, u have to feather the throttle until it gets up to 2k, so im hopein if i raise my idle that will help.. HAd to put it away for the day cuz the plow came thru, and some guy stopped me and told me he was gunna call the cops... City people! haha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts