Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
dunphy11
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been sledding a little in NH and with the conditions my 08 MXZ 800R (121'' track) I`ve experienced a lot of heat issues. At first it was extremely hard pack then ice conditions. Did some research and thought I would try some ice scratchers, so I bought some of the cable reverse compatible slidekicks. The problem is where to mount them? Not much meat behind the second idler wheel to get a bolt through and be able to tourqe properly. Is any body familiar with this and what have they done?
I`m wondering about maybe the front ski legs as a possibility but a little skeptical about drilling a 3/8'' hole to mount them...............I would think kicking up ice and snow in front of the track would be a more ideal situation. Any of you die harders got any input?????...Thanks

·
Administrator
19,352 Posts
If you want scratchers on the skis, there is a product designed exactly for that.

I mounted my slidekicks in a convenient location behind the bogey wheel. They work well, even mounted in the middle of the track. Some guys remove the wheel and mount it in that location, but that may not work as well for your track.

Mounted on my 08 600, the temp will drop from 150 F to about 120 F in less than a mile with the Slidekick scratchers down.

·
dunphy11
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I also got some info that gripnrip racing had a write up in the March 09 SledTech magazine with pictures of slidekicks set up on a simular sled, but of course I can`t find March of 09 edition. Supposedly they ran them real hard with the set up they used and had no issues.
Thanks for the help.

·
Administrator
19,352 Posts
I have found the stiff wire ones seem to work a bit better, but the cable ones let you reverse without having to lift the scratcher. If you forget (or even slide backwards by accident), the wire ones bend into a pretzel.

It's been a few years since I have had to get any, the last wire ones I got were Polaris brand. There may be more companies that make them now, you may want to search it on the web.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts